A man speaks frantically into the phone, "My wife is pregnant, and her contractions are only two minutes apart!"
"Is this her first child?" the doctor queries.
"No, you idiot!" the man shouts. "This is her husband!"
—v. (-mm-) 1 play (a stringed instrument) monotonously or unskilfully.
- (often foll. By on) drum idly. —n. - such playing.
- resulting sound. [imitative]
- n. - unwoven end of a warp-thread, or the whole of such ends, left when the finished web is cut away.
- any short loose thread. [old english]
index n. Set of lettered grooves cut down the side of a book for easy reference.
- —n. - short thick finger on the human hand, set apart from the other four.
- part of a glove etc. For a thumb. —v. - wear or soil (pages etc.) With a thumb.
- turn over pages with or as with a thumb (thumbed through the directory).
- request or get (a lift) by signalling with a raised thumb.
- use the thumb in a gesture. thumb one's nose = cock a snook (see *snook). Thumbs down indication of rejection. Thumbs up indication of satisfaction or approval. Under a person's thumb completely dominated by a person. [old english]
—v. - beat or strike heavily, esp. With the fist.
- throb strongly.
- (foll. By at, on, etc.) Knock loudly. —n. - heavy blow.
- dull sound of this. [imitative]
n. Any of several herbs with aromatic leaves. [greek thumon]
n. - jewelled ornamental band worn on the front of a woman's hair.
- three-crowned diadem worn by a pope. tiaraed adj. [latin from greek]
n. (pl. Tibiae) anat. Inner of two bones extending from the knee to the ankle. tibial adj. [latin]
adj. Relating to, like, or affected by tides. tidally adv.
- wave n. - exceptionally large ocean wave, esp. One caused by an underwater earthquake.
- widespread manifestation of feeling etc.
n. - connection or association.
- joint promotion of related commodities etc. (e.g. A book and a film).
n. Connection, association.
lily n. Tall garden lily with dark-spotted orange flowers.
- moth n. Moth with richly spotted and streaked wings.
- n. - large asian animal of the cat family, with a yellow-brown coat with black stripes.
- fierce, energetic, or formidable person. [greek tigris]