At a local coffee bar, a young woman was expounding on her idea of the perfect mate to some of her friends.
"The man I marry must be a shining light amongst company. He must be musical. Tell jokes. Sing. And stay home at night!"
An old granny overheard and spoke up, "Honey, if that"s all you want, get a TV!"
—n. Absorbent cloth or paper etc. Used for drying after washing. —v. (-ll-; us -l-) (often refl.) Wipe or dry with a towel. [french toail(l)e from germanic]
block n. Tall building containing offices or flats.
- of strength n. Person who gives strong emotional support.
- —n. - tall structure, often part of a church, castle, etc.
- fortress etc. With a tower.
- tall structure housing machinery etc. (cooling tower; control tower). —v. - (usu. Foll. By above, up) reach or be high or above; be superior.
- (as towering adj.) A high, lofty (towering intellect). B violent (towering rage). [greek turris]
adj. - poisonous.
- of poison. toxicity n. [greek toxikon poison for arrows]
n. Poison produced by a living organism.
element n. Chemical element required only in minute amounts by living organisms for normal growth.
- —v. (-cing) 1 a observe or find vestiges or signs of by investigation. B (often foll. By along, through, to, etc.) Follow or mark the track or position of. C (often foll. By back) follow to its origins.
- copy (a drawing etc.) By drawing over its lines on superimposed translucent paper.
- (often foll. By out) mark out, delineate, sketch, or write, esp. Laboriously.
- make one's way along (a path etc.). —n. - a indication of something having existed; vestige. B very small quantity.
- track or footprint.
- track left by the moving pen of an instrument etc. traceable adj. [latin traho draw]
- n. Each of the two side-straps, chains, or ropes by which a horse draws a vehicle. kick over the traces become insubordinate or reckless. [french trais, pl. Of *trait]
events n.pl. Running-races as opposed to jumping etc.
- record n. Person's past performance.
- shoe n. Runner's spiked shoe.
- suit n. Loose warm suit worn for exercising etc.
- —n. - a mark(s) left by a person, animal, vehicle, etc. B (in pl.) Such marks, esp. Footprints.
- rough path, esp. One beaten by use.
- continuous railway line.
- a racecourse; circuit. B prepared course for runners etc.
- a groove on a gramophone record. B section of a record, cd, or magnetic tape containing one song etc. C lengthwise strip of magnetic tape containing a single sequence of signals.
- line of travel (track of the comet).
- band round the wheels of a tank etc.
- line of thought or action. —v. - follow the track of.
- trace (a course, development, etc.) By vestiges.
- (often foll. By back, in, etc.) (of a film or television camera) move in relation to the subject being filmed. in one's tracks colloq. Where one stands, instantly (stopped him in his tracks). Keep (or lose) track of follow (or fail to follow) the course of. Make tracks colloq. Depart. Make tracks for colloq. Go in pursuit of or towards. Off the track away from the subject. Track down reach or capture by tracking. tracker n. [french trac]
n. - stretch or extent of territory, esp. Large.
- bodily organ or system (digestive tract). [latin traho tract- pull]
- n. Pamphlet, esp. Propagandist. [apparently latin tractatus from tracto handle]
mark n. - device or name secured by law or custom as representing a company, product, etc.
- distinctive characteristic etc.
- name n. - name by which a thing is called in a trade.
- name given to a product.
- name under which a business trades.
- price n. Price charged to the retailer.
- secret n. - secret device or technique used esp. In a trade.
- joc. Any secret.
- union n. (also trades union) organized association of workers in a trade, profession, etc., formed to protect and further their rights and interests. trade-unionism n. Trade-unionist n.
- wind n. Wind blowing continually towards the equator and deflected westward.
- —n. - a buying and selling. B this between nations etc. C business conducted for profit (esp. As distinct from a profession). D business of a specified nature or time (christmas trade; tourist trade).
- skilled craft practised professionally.
- (usu. Prec. By the) people engaged in a specific trade (the trade will never agree).
- us transaction, esp. A swap.
- (usu. In pl.) Trade wind. —v. (-ding) 1 (often foll. By in, with) engage in trade; buy and sell.
- a exchange in commerce. B exchange (insults, blows, etc.). C us swap.
- (usu. Foll. By with, for) have a transaction with a person for a thing. trade in (often foll. By for) exchange (esp. A used car) in part payment for another. Trade off exchange, esp. As a compromise. Trade on take advantage of. tradable adj. Tradeable adj. [low german, = track: related to *tread]
—n. - track or scent left by a moving thing, person, etc.
- beaten path, esp. Through a wild region.
- long line of people or things following behind something.
- part dragging behind a thing or person. —v. - draw or be drawn along behind, esp. On the ground.
- (often foll. By behind) walk wearily.
- follow the trail of; pursue.
- be losing in a contest (trailing by three points).
- (usu. Foll. By away, off) peter out; tail off.
- a (of a plant etc.) Grow or hang over a wall, along the ground, etc. B hang loosely.
- (often refl.) Drag (oneself, one's limbs, etc.) Along wearily etc. [french or low german]
—v. - a (often foll. By to + infin.) Teach (a person, animal, oneself, etc.) A specified skill, esp. By practice. B undergo this process (trained as a teacher).
- bring or come to physical efficiency by exercise, diet, etc.
- (often foll. By along, up) guide the growth of (a plant).
- (usu. As trained adj.) Make (the mind, eye, etc.) Discerning through practice etc.
- (often foll. By on) point or aim (a gun, camera, etc.) At an object etc. —n. - series of railway carriages or trucks drawn by an engine.
- thing dragged along behind or forming the back part of a dress, robe, etc.
- succession or series of people, things, events, etc. (train of thought).
- body of followers; retinue. in train properly arranged or directed. trainee n. [latin traho draw]