A doctor and a lawyer were attending a cocktail party when the doctor was approached by a man who asked advice on how to handle his ulcer.
The doctor mumbled some medical advice, then turned to the lawyer and asked,
"How do you handle the situation when you are asked for advice during a social function?"
"Just send a bill for such advice" replied the lawyer.
On the next morning the doctor arrived at his surgery and issued the ulcer-stricken man a $50 bill.
That afternoon he received a $100 bill from the lawyer.
n. (pl. Testae) seed's protective outer covering. [latin: related to *test2]
adj. (-ier, -iest) irritable, touchy. testily adv. Testiness n. [french teste head: related to *test2]
comb. Form four. [greek tettares four]
n. Hist. - man who held land from an english king or other superior by military service.
- man who held land from a scottish king and ranked with an earl's son; chief of a clan. [old english]
—v. - express gratitude to (thanked him for the present).
- hold responsible (you can thank yourself for that). —n. (in pl.) 1 gratitude.
- expression of gratitude.
- (as a formula) thank you (thanks for your help). thank goodness (or god or heavens etc.) Colloq. Expression of relief etc. Thanks to as the result of (thanks to my foresight; thanks to your obstinacy). Thank you polite formula expressing gratitude. [old english]
n. Act of stealing. [old english: related to *thief]
poss. Pron. (attrib.) Of or belonging to them. [old norse]
n. - subject or topic of a talk, book, etc.
- mus. Prominent melody in a composition.
- us school exercise on a given subject. thematic adj. Thematically adv. [greek thema -mat-]
- park n. Amusement park organized round a unifying idea.
- song n. (also theme tune) 1 recurrent melody in a musical play or film.
- signature tune.
—adv. - in, at, or to that place or position (lived there for a year; goes there daily).
- at that point (in speech, performance, writing, etc.).
- in that respect (i agree with you there).
- used for emphasis in calling attention (you there!).
- used to indicate the fact or existence of something (there is a house on the corner). —n. That place (lives near there). —int. - expressing confirmation, triumph, etc. (there! What did i tell you?).
- used to soothe a child etc. (there, there, never mind). there and then = then and there. [old english]