There once was a very rich man who wanted to take his wealth with him when he died. He prayed and prayed until the Lord gave in, but on one condition – he could only take one suitcase of his wealth.
The rich man began to worry, "What kind of currency should I take – the dollar, the pound, the euro, the yen?" He finally decided to turn everything into gold bullion.
The day came when God called him home. St. Peter told him that he couldn’t bring in his suitcase with him. The man explained that he had an agreement with God.
"That’s unusual," St. Peter said. "Mind if I take a look?"
The man opened his suitcase to reveal the shining gold bullion.
"Why in heaven would you bring pavement?" St. Peter exclaimed
n. (pl. Testae) seed's protective outer covering. [latin: related to *test2]
adj. (-ier, -iest) irritable, touchy. testily adv. Testiness n. [french teste head: related to *test2]
comb. Form four. [greek tettares four]
n. Hist. - man who held land from an english king or other superior by military service.
- man who held land from a scottish king and ranked with an earl's son; chief of a clan. [old english]
—v. - express gratitude to (thanked him for the present).
- hold responsible (you can thank yourself for that). —n. (in pl.) 1 gratitude.
- expression of gratitude.
- (as a formula) thank you (thanks for your help). thank goodness (or god or heavens etc.) Colloq. Expression of relief etc. Thanks to as the result of (thanks to my foresight; thanks to your obstinacy). Thank you polite formula expressing gratitude. [old english]
n. Act of stealing. [old english: related to *thief]
poss. Pron. (attrib.) Of or belonging to them. [old norse]
n. - subject or topic of a talk, book, etc.
- mus. Prominent melody in a composition.
- us school exercise on a given subject. thematic adj. Thematically adv. [greek thema -mat-]
- park n. Amusement park organized round a unifying idea.
- song n. (also theme tune) 1 recurrent melody in a musical play or film.
- signature tune.
—adv. - in, at, or to that place or position (lived there for a year; goes there daily).
- at that point (in speech, performance, writing, etc.).
- in that respect (i agree with you there).
- used for emphasis in calling attention (you there!).
- used to indicate the fact or existence of something (there is a house on the corner). —n. That place (lives near there). —int. - expressing confirmation, triumph, etc. (there! What did i tell you?).
- used to soothe a child etc. (there, there, never mind). there and then = then and there. [old english]