At a local coffee bar, a young woman was expounding on her idea of the perfect mate to some of her friends.
"The man I marry must be a shining light amongst company. He must be musical. Tell jokes. Sing. And stay home at night!"
An old granny overheard and spoke up, "Honey, if that"s all you want, get a TV!"
n. Unit of heat, esp. As the statutory unit of gas supplied, equivalent to 100,000 british thermal units (1.055 x 108 joules). [greek therme heat]
pl. Of *this.
n. Eighth letter of the greek alphabet (q, q). [greek]
contr. - they had.
- they would.
—adj. - of great or specified extent between opposite surfaces.
- (of a line etc.) Broad; not fine.
- arranged closely; crowded together; dense.
- (usu. Foll. By with) densely covered or filled (air thick with smoke).
- a firm in consistency; containing much solid matter. B made of thick material (a thick coat).
- a muddy, cloudy; impenetrable by sight. B (of one's head) suffering from a hangover, headache, etc.
- colloq. Stupid.
- a (of a voice) indistinct. B (of an accent) very marked.
- colloq. Intimate, very friendly. —n. Thick part of anything. —adv. Thickly (snow was falling thick). a bit thick colloq. Unreasonable or intolerable. In the thick of at the busiest part of. Through thick and thin under all conditions; in spite of all difficulties. thickish adj. Thickly adv. [old english]
n. (pl. Thieves) person who steals, esp. Secretly. [old english]
n. Part of the leg between the hip and the knee. [old english]
poss. Pron. Archaic 1 (predic. Or absol.) Of or belonging to thee.
- (attrib. Before a vowel) = *thy. [old english]
n. - entity, idea, action, etc., that exists or may be thought about or perceived.
- inanimate material object (take that thing away).
- unspecified item (a few things to buy).
- act, idea, or utterance (silly thing to do).
- event (unfortunate thing to happen).
- quality (patience is a useful thing).
- person regarded with pity, contempt, or affection (poor thing!).
- specimen or type (latest thing in hats).
- colloq. One's special interest (not my thing). 10 colloq. Something remarkable (there's a thing!). 11 (prec. By the) colloq. A what is proper or fashionable. B what is needed (just the thing). C what is to be considered (the thing is, shall we go or not?). D what is important. 12 (in pl.) Personal belongings or clothing (where are my things?). 13 (in pl.) Equipment (painting things). 14 (in pl.) Affairs in general (not in the nature of things). 15 (in pl.) Circumstances, conditions (things look good). 16 (in pl. With a following adjective) all that is so describable (things greek). do one's own thing colloq. Pursue one's own interests or inclinations. Have a thing about colloq. Be obsessed or prejudiced about. Make a thing of colloq. - regard as essential.
- cause a fuss about. [old english]
—v. (past and past part. Thought) 1 be of the opinion (think that they will come).
- judge or consider (is thought to be a fraud).
- exercise the mind (let me think for a moment).
- (foll. By of or about) a consider; be or become aware of. B form or entertain the idea of; imagine.
- have a half-formed intention (i think i'll stay).
- form a conception of.
- recognize the presence or existence of (thought no harm in it). —n. Colloq. Act of thinking (have a think). think again revise one's plans or opinions. Think aloud utter one's thoughts as soon as they occur. Think better of change one's mind about (an intention) after reconsideration. Think fit see *fit1. Think little (or nothing) of consider to be insignificant. Think much (or a lot or highly) of have a high opinion of. Think out 1 consider carefully.
- produce (an idea etc.) By thinking. Think over reflect upon in order to reach a decision. Think through reflect fully upon (a problem etc.). Think twice use careful consideration, avoid hasty action, etc. Think up colloq. Devise. [old english]