A porter in a British hotel comes upon an American tourist impatiently jabbing at the button for the lift.
"Sir, the lift will be here in a moment."
"Lift? Lift?" replies the American. "Oh, you mean the elevator."
"No sir, here we call it a lift."
"Well, as it was invented in the United States, it’s called an elevator."
"Yes sir, but as the language was invented here, it’s called a lift."
Crossword puzzle help
List of words beginning with:
n. - bulbous spring-flowering plant with showy cup-shaped flowers.
- its flower. [turkish tul(i)band *turban (from its shape), from persian] TULLE
n. Soft fine silk etc. Net for veils and dresses. [tulle in france]
adj. - swollen, inflated.
- (of style etc.) Inflated, bombastic. tumidity n. TUMMY
n. (pl. -ies) colloq. Stomach. [a childish pronunciation]
n. (brit. Tumour) a swelling, esp. From an abnormal growth of tissue. tumorous adj. [latin tumeo swell]
n. - person who tunes musical instruments, esp. Pianos.
- a part of a radio or television receiver for tuning. B radio receiver as a separate unit in a high-fi system. - electronic device for tuning a guitar etc. TUNIC
n. - close-fitting short coat of police or military etc. Uniform.
- loose often sleeveless garment reaching to the knees. [latin] TUNNY
n. (pl. Same or -ies) = *tuna. [greek thunnos]
comb. Form turbine.
- n. (pl. -s) = *turbocharger. TURCO
comb. Form (also turko-) turkish; turkish and. [medieval latin: related to *turk]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".
The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds.