n. - special aptitude or faculty (talent for music).
- high mental ability.
- a person or persons of talent. B colloq. Attractive members of the opposite sex (plenty of local talent).
- ancient esp. Greek weight and unit of currency. talented adj. [greek talanton]
n. Colloq. (esp. Early) film with a soundtrack.
n. Hard (esp. Animal) fat melted down to make candles, soap, etc. tallowy adj. [low german]
n. Body of jewish civil and ceremonial law and legend. talmudic adj. Talmudist n. [hebrew, = instruction]
v. (foll. By with) 1 meddle with or change illicitly.
- exert a secret or corrupt influence upon; bribe. [var. Of *temper]
n. Plug of soft material used esp. To absorb menstrual blood. [french: related to *tamp]
n. Large metal gong. [hindi]
—n. - bicycle with two or more seats one behind another.
- group of two people etc. With one behind or following the other.
- carriage driven tandem. —adv. With two or more horses harnessed one behind another (drive tandem). in tandem 1 one behind another.
- alongside each other; together. [latin, = at length]
—v. (-ling) 1 intertwine (threads or hairs etc.) Or become entwined in a confused mass; entangle.
- (foll. By with) colloq. Become involved (esp. In conflict) with (don't tangle with me).
- complicate (tangled affair). —n. - confused mass of intertwined threads etc.
- confused state. [origin uncertain]
adj. (-ier, -iest) tangled.