n. - table of fixed charges (hotel tariff).
- a duty on a particular class of goods. B list of duties or customs due. [arabic, = notification]
—n. Propr. - = *tarmacadam.
- runway etc. Made of this. —v. (tarmac) (-ck-) apply tarmacadam to. [abbreviation]
—adj. Of the ankle-bones. —n. Tarsal bone. [from *tarsus]
n. (pl. Tarsi) 1 bones of the ankle and upper foot.
- shank of a bird's leg. [greek]
n. - pattern of coloured stripes crossing at right angles, esp. Denoting a scottish highland clan.
- woollen cloth woven in this pattern (often attrib.: tartan scarf). [origin uncertain]
n. - hard deposit that forms on the teeth.
- deposit that forms a hard crust in wine. [medieval latin from greek]
- sauce n. Sauce of mayonnaise and chopped gherkins, capers, etc. [from *tartar]
- —n. - a member of a group of central asian peoples including mongols and turks. B turkic language of these peoples.
- (tartar) harsh or formidable person. —adj. - of tartars.
- of central asia east of the caspian sea. [french or medieval latin]
n. Colloq. Agile muscular man. [name of a character in stories by e. R. Burroughs]
n. - tuft of loosely hanging threads or cords etc. As decoration.
- tassel-like flower-head of some plants, esp. Maize. tasselled adj. (us taseled). [french tas(s)el clasp]
n. - person employed to test food or drink by tasting.
- small sample.
n. (usu. In pl.) Rag; irregularly torn cloth or paper etc. in tatters colloq. - torn in many places.
- destroyed, ruined. [old norse]