A drummer, sick of all the drummer jokes, decides to change his instrument. After some thought, he decides on the accordion.
So he goes to the music store and says to the owner, "I"d like to look at the accordions, please."
The owner gestures to a shelf in the corner and says, "All our accordions are over there."
After browsing, the drummer says, "I think I"d like the big red one in the corner."
The store owner looks at him and says, "You"re a drummer, aren"t you?"
The drummer, crestfallen, says, "How did you know?"
The store owner says, "That "big red accordion" is the radiator."
n. (pl. -s) 1 paved usu. Roofless area adjoining a house.
- inner roofless court in a spanish or spanish-american house. [spanish]
rice n. Rice with long firm grains. [from patna in india]
n. (pl. -ies) little pie or pasty. [french *pAte, after *pasty1]
—n. - temporary stop or silence.
- mus. Mark over a note or rest that is to be lengthened. —v. (-sing) make a pause; wait. give pause to cause to hesitate. [greek pauo stop]
dividend n. Public money which becomes available when defence spending is reduced.
- n. - a quiet; tranquillity. B mental calm; serenity.
- a (often attrib.) Freedom from or the cessation of war (peace talks). B (esp. Peace) treaty of peace between states etc. At war.
- freedom from civil disorder. at peace 1 in a state of friendliness.
- euphem. Dead. Hold one's peace keep silent. Keep the peace prevent, or refrain from, strife. Make one's peace (often foll. By with) re-establish friendly relations. Make peace agree to end a war or quarrel. [latin pax pac-]
melba n. Dish of peaches, ice-cream, and raspberry sauce.
- n. - a round juicy fruit with downy yellow or pink skin. B tree bearing this.
- yellowish-pink colour.
- colloq. A person or thing of superlative quality. B attractive young woman. peachy adj. (-ier, -iest). [latin persica persian (apple)]
- v. (usu. Foll. By against, on) colloq. Turn informer; inform. [from obsolete appeach: related to *impeach]
adj. (-ier, -iest) 1 sickly; puny.
barley n. Barley ground to small rounded grains.
- bulb n. Translucent electric light bulb.
- button n. Mother-of-pearl button, or an imitation of it.
- —n. - a (often attrib.) Rounded usu. White or bluish-grey lustrous solid formed within the shell of certain oysters, highly prized as a gem. B imitation of this. C (in pl.) Necklace of pearls.