v. - make a threat or threats against.
- be a sign of (something undesirable).
- (foll. By to + infin.) Announce one's intention to do an undesirable thing.
- (also absol.) Warn of the infliction of (harm etc.).
—adj. Of three strands or layers etc. —n. - three-ply wool.
- three-ply wood.
adj. Involving three directions or participants.
n. (pl. -ies) song of lamentation or mourning. [greek]
n. Exciting or sensational story or play etc., esp. About crime or espionage.
n. Song thrush. [old english]
—n. - a valve controlling the flow of fuel or steam etc. In an engine. B (in full throttle-lever) lever or pedal operating this valve.
- throat, gullet, or windpipe. —v. (-ling) 1 choke or strangle.
- prevent the utterance etc. Of.
- control (an engine or steam etc.) With a throttle. throttle back (or down) reduce the speed of (an engine or vehicle) by throttling. [perhaps from *throat]
adj. Colloq. (esp. As an intensifier) huge (a thumping lie; a thumping great house).
n. Censer. [latin thus thur- incense]
—n. Day of the week following wednesday. —adv. Colloq. - on thursday.
- (thursdays) on thursdays; each thursday. [old english]