v. (-ting) 1 a water (land) by means of channels etc. B (of a stream etc.) Supply (land) with water.
- supply (a wound etc.) With a constant flow of liquid. irrigable adj. Irrigation n. Irrigator n. [latin rigo moisten]
—adj. Causing irritation. —n. Irritant substance.
v. (-ting) 1 excite to anger; annoy.
- stimulate discomfort in (a part of the body).
- biol. Stimulate (an organ) to action. irritating adj. Irritation n. Irritative adj. [latin irrito]
n. Native or inhabitant of an island.
n. Line on a map connecting places with the same temperature. isothermal adj. [from *iso-, greek therme heat]
n. - native or national of iceland.
- person of icelandic descent.
—adj. Of iceland. —n. Language of iceland.
n. - (in full ichneumon fly) small wasp depositing eggs in or on the larva of another as food for its own larva.
- mongoose noted for destroying crocodile eggs. [greek from ikhnos footstep]
adj. - (often foll. By with) (of different things) absolutely alike.
- one and the same.
- (of twins) developed from a single ovum. identically adv. [latin identicus: related to *identity]
n. (often attrib.) Propr. Picture of esp. A wanted suspect assembled from standard components using witnesses' descriptions. [from *identity, *kit]