A porter in a British hotel comes upon an American tourist impatiently jabbing at the button for the lift.
"Sir, the lift will be here in a moment."
"Lift? Lift?" replies the American. "Oh, you mean the elevator."
"No sir, here we call it a lift."
"Well, as it was invented in the United States, it’s called an elevator."
"Yes sir, but as the language was invented here, it’s called a lift."
Crossword puzzle help
List of words beginning with:
n. - resigning, esp. From one's job or office.
- letter etc. Conveying this. - reluctant acceptance of the inevitable. [medieval latin: related to *resign] RESPECTABLE
adj. - of acceptable social standing; decent and proper in appearance or behaviour.
- fairly competent (a respectable try). - reasonably good in condition, appearance, number, size, etc. respectability n. Respectably adv. RESPIRATION
n. - a breathing. B single breath in or out.
- biol. (in living organisms) the absorption of oxygen and the release of energy and carbon dioxide. [latin spiro breathe] RESPLENDENT
adj. Brilliant, dazzlingly or gloriously bright. resplendence n. [latin resplendeo shine]
adj. - (often foll. By to, for) liable to be called to account (to a person or for a thing).
- morally accountable for one's actions; capable of rational conduct. - of good credit, position, or repute; respectable; evidently trustworthy. - (often foll. By for) being the primary cause. - involving responsibility. responsibly adv. RESTITUTION
n. - restoring of a thing to its proper owner.
- reparation for an injury (esp. Make restitution). [latin] RESTORATION
n. - restoring or being restored.
- model or representation of the supposed original form of a thing. - (restoration) hist. A (prec. By the) re-establishment of the british monarchy in 1660. B (often attrib.) Literary period following this (restoration comedy). RESTORATIVE
—adj. Tending to restore health or strength. —n. Restorative medicine, food, etc.
adj. Restricting. [french or medieval latin: related to *restrict]
- practice n. Agreement that limits competition or output in industry. RESTRUCTURE
v. (-ring) give a new structure to; rebuild; rearrange.
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".
Cholesterol is a vitamin for insects.