The lifeguard told the mother to make her young son stop urinating in the pool.
"Everyone knows," - the mother lectured him, "that from time to time, young children will urinate in a pool."
"Oh really?" said the lifeguard, "from the diving board!?!?"
n. Peg driven into rock or a crack to support a climber or rope. [french]
n. (also pita) flat hollow unleavened bread which can be split and filled. [modern greek, = a kind of cake]
—n. - shaft or pin on which something turns or oscillates.
- crucial or essential person, point, etc. —v. (-t-) 1 turn on or as on a pivot.
- provide with a pivot. pivotal adj. [french]
n. Any of the minute areas of uniform illumination of which an image on a display screen is composed. [abbreviation of picture element]
n. (also pixy) (pl. -ies) fairy-like being. [origin unknown]
n. Italian dish of a layer of dough baked with a topping of tomatoes, cheese, etc. [italian, = pie]
—n. - a particular portion of space. B portion of space occupied by a person or thing. C proper or natural position.
- city, town, village, etc.
- residence, home.
- group of houses in a town etc., esp. A square.
- (esp. Large) country house.
- rank or status.
- space, esp. A seat, for a person.
- building or area for a specific purpose (place of work).
- point reached in a book etc. (lost my place). 10 particular spot on a surface, esp. Of the skin (sore place). 11 a employment or office. B duties or entitlements of office etc. (not my place to criticize). 12 position as a member of a team, student in a college, etc. 13 any of the first three (or four) positions in a race, esp. Other than the winner. 14 position of a digit in a series indicated in decimal or similar notation. —v. (-cing) 1 put in a particular or proper place or state or order; arrange.
- identify, classify, or remember correctly.
- assign to a particular place, class, or rank; locate.
- find employment or a living etc. For.
- make or state (an order or bet etc.).
- (often foll. By in, on, etc.) Have (confidence etc.).
- state the position of (any of the first three or four runners) in a race.
- (as placed adj.) Among the first three (or four) in a race. give place to 1 make room for.
- yield precedence to.
- be succeeded by. Go places colloq. Be successful. In place in the right position; suitable. In place of in exchange for; instead of. In places at only some places or parts. Out of place 1 in the wrong position.
- unsuitable. Put a person in his (or her) place deflate a person. Take place occur. Take the place of be substituted for. placement n. [latin platea broad way]