flat n. Part of a house made into self-contained accommodation for an elderly relative.
- knot n. Reef-knot crossed the wrong way and therefore insecure.
- n. (also grannie) (pl. -ies) colloq. Grandmother. [diminutive of grannam from archaic grandam: related to *grand, *dame]
comb. Form forming nouns denoting: 1 descriptive science (geography).
- technique of producing images (photography).
- style or method of writing etc. (calligraphy).
adv. & adj. Free; without charge. [latin]
—n. - mixture of coarse sand and small stones, used for paths etc.
- med. Aggregations of crystals formed in the urinary tract. —v. (-ll-; us -l-) lay or strew with gravel. [french diminutive, perhaps of grave shore]
image n. Idol.
- past part. Of *grave3.
n. Light usu. White wine from graves in france.
adj. Pregnant. [latin gravidus: related to *grave2]
—n. - oily or fatty matter, esp. As a lubricant.
- melted fat of a dead animal. —v. (-sing) smear or lubricate with grease. grease the palm of colloq. Bribe. [latin crassus (adj.) Fat]
adj. (-ier, -iest) 1 a of or like grease. B smeared or covered with grease. C containing or having too much grease.
- a slippery. B (of a person or manner) unpleasantly unctuous. greasily adv. Greasiness n.
n. (usu. In pl.) Armour for the shin. [french, = shin]