n. - provincial governor in the ancient persian empire.
- subordinate ruler. [persian, = protector of the land]
n. - shallow circular dish for standing a cup on.
- thing of this shape. saucerful n. (pl. -s). [french saussier]
—adj. - fierce; cruel.
- wild; primitive. —n. - derog. Member of a primitive tribe.
- cruel or barbarous person. —v. (-ging) 1 attack and maul.
- attack verbally. savagely adv. Savagery n. (pl. -ies). [french from latin silva a wood]
n. (fem. Savante,) learned person. [french]
grace n. Redeeming quality.
- —adj. (often in comb.) Making economical use of (labour-saving). —n. - anything that is saved.
- an economy (a saving in expenses).
- (usu. In pl.) Money saved.
- act of preserving or rescuing. —prep. - except.
- without offence to (saving your presence).
n. (brit. Saviour) 1 person who saves from danger etc.
- (saviour) (prec. By the, our) christ. [latin: related to *save1]
faire n. Ability to behave appropriately; tact. [french]
(brit. Savoury) —adj. - having an appetizing taste or smell.
- (of food) salty or piquant, not sweet.
- pleasant; acceptable. —n. (pl. -ies) savoury dish. savouriness n.
(us savor) —n. - characteristic taste, flavour, etc.
- hint of a different quality etc. In something. —v. - appreciate and enjoy (food, an experience, etc.).
- (foll. By of) imply or suggest (a specified quality). [latin sapor]
n. Person who saws timber, esp. For a living.