n. Device for snuffing or extinguishing a candle.
—v. (-ling) 1 make sniffing sounds.
- speak or say nasally or whiningly.
- breathe noisily, esp. With a blocked nose. —n. Snuffling sound or tone. snuffly adj. [low german or dutch snuffelen]
v. (-ling) settle or draw into a warm comfortable position.
adj. (in full soaking wet) wet through.
n. (pl. -so's) 1 particular but unspecified person or thing.
- colloq. Objectionable person.
n. Makeshift stand for a speaker in the street etc.
n. (pl. -ies) 1 organized and interdependent community.
- system and organization of this.
- aristocratic part of this; its members (polite society; society would not approve).
- mixing with others; companionship, company.
- club, association (music society; building society). societal adj. [latin societas]
- of friends n. Pacifist christian sect with no written creed or ordained ministers; quakers.
- of jesus see *jesuit.
—n. Temporary stay. —v. Stay temporarily. [french sojorner]
of fortune n. Mercenary.
- —n. - member of an army.
- (in full common soldier) private or nco in an army. 3 colloq. Finger of bread for dipping into egg. —v. Serve as a soldier. soldier on colloq. Persevere doggedly. soldierly adj. [french soulde, originally = soldier's pay]
v. (-t-) 1 seek (esp. Business) repeatedly or earnestly.
- (also absol.) Accost as a prostitute. solicitation n. [latin sollicitus anxious]