One evening Sherlock Holmes was going along the street and suddenly saw a man down…
- It’s certain, this gentleman is very tired after work… or he is dead drunk… or he is after being with a woman, … — reflected Holmes. As it’s Sunday today, he can’t be coming back from work… At such a late hour all shops are closed, and he couldn’t buy alcohol. So he is coming back from a woman. But in this remote place there are only two women — Watson’s wife and mine. Consequently, as I’m coming back from Watson’s wife, …
- Watson, rascal, get up!!!
adj. Constituting or having a quorum. [from *quorum]
n. - quarter of a circle's circumference.
- quarter of a circle enclosed by two radii at right angles.
- quarter of a sphere etc.
- any of four parts of a plane divided by two lines at right angles.
- a graduated quarter-circular strip of metal etc. B instrument graduated (esp. Through an arc of 90°) for measuring angles. [latin quadrans -ant-]
—adj. Esp. Anat. & zool. Square or rectangular. —n. Rectangular object. —v. (-ting) make square. [latin quadro make square]
n. - muddy or boggy area.
- hazardous situation. [from quag bog, *mire]
n. (pl. -ies) 1 perplexed state.
- practical dilemma. [origin uncertain]
v. (-ies, -ied) 1 determine the quantity of.
- express as a quantity. quantifiable adj. Quantification n. [medieval latin: related to *quantity]
n. (pl. -ies) 1 property of things that is measurable.
- size, extent, weight, amount, or number.
- specified or considerable portion, number, or amount (buys in quantity; small quantity of food).
- (in pl.) Large amounts or numbers; an abundance.
- length or shortness of vowel sounds or syllables.
- math. Value, component, etc. That may be expressed in numbers. [latin quantus how much]
- surveyor n. Person who measures and prices building work.
n. Four-line stanza. [french quatre four]
n. Land forming or near a quay.
mark n. Punctuation mark (?) Indicating a question.
- time n. Period in parliament when mps may question ministers.
- —n. - sentence worded or expressed so as to seek information or an answer.
- a doubt or dispute about a matter (no question that he is dead). B raising of such doubt etc.
- matter to be discussed or decided.
- problem requiring a solution. —v. - ask questions of; interrogate; subject (a person) to examination.
- throw doubt upon; raise objections to. be just a question of time be certain to happen sooner or later. Be a question of be at issue, be a problem (it's a question of money). Call in (or into) question express doubts about.