- My father had two horses that looked so much alike that he measured them so he could tell them apart.
- Did that help?
- It sure did. He found that the white one was 6 inches shorter than the black one.
n. (also prezzie) colloq. Present, gift. [abbreviation]
n. Exercise in which the prone body is raised from the ground by placing the hands on the floor and straightening the arms.
n. Propr. Computerized visual information system operated by british telecom. [from *press1, *telecommunication]
v. (-ming) 1 (often foll. By that) suppose to be true; take for granted.
- (often foll. By to + infin.) A take the liberty, be impudent enough (presumed to question their authority). B dare, venture (may i presume to ask?).
- be presumptuous.
- (foll. By on, upon) take advantage of or make unscrupulous use of (a person's good nature etc.). [latin praesumo]
—v. - claim or assert falsely so as to deceive (pretend knowledge; pretended to be rich).
- imagine to oneself in play (pretended it was night).
- (as pretended adj.) Falsely claim to be such (a pretended friend).
- (foll. By to) a lay claim to (a right or title etc.). B profess to have (a quality etc.). —adj. Colloq. Pretended; in pretence (pretend money). [latin praetendo: related to *tend1]
n. Ostensible reason; excuse offered. [latin praetextus: related to *text]
n. Crisp knot-shaped salted biscuit. [german]
v. - (often foll. By against, over) be victorious or gain mastery.
- be the more usual or predominant.
- exist or occur in general use or experience.
- (foll. By on, upon) persuade. [latin praevaleo: related to *avail]
v. (often foll. By from + verbal noun) stop from happening or doing something; hinder; make impossible (the weather prevented me from going). preventable adj. (also preventible). Prevention n. [latin praevenio -vent- hinder]
—n. Showing of a film, play, exhibition, etc., before it is seen by the general public. —v. See or show in advance.
A cat will clean itself with paw and tongue after a dangerous experience or when it has fought with another cat. This is an attempt by the animal to soothe its nerves by doing something natural and instinctive.