A lawyer and a doctor were on an extravagant fishing trip.
The lawyer said, "I am here because my house burned down and everything I owned was burned. The insurance company paid a mint for everything I lost."
"Now that’s quite a coincidence," said the doctor, "I’m here because my house and all my belongings were destroyed by a flood, and my insurance company also paid for everything."
The lawyer looked somewhat confused and said, "Really? How do you start a flood?"
n. Logic previous statement from which another is inferred. [var. Of *premise]
bond n. (also premium savings bond) government security without interest but with a draw for cash prizes.
- n. - amount to be paid for a contract of insurance.
- sum added to interest, wages, price, etc.
- reward or prize.
- (attrib.) (of a commodity) of the best quality and therefore more expensive. at a premium 1 highly valued; above the usual or nominal price.
- scarce and in demand. [latin praemium reward]
v. (also pre-package) pack (goods) on the site of production or before retail.
past and past part. Of *prepay.
- past and past part. Of *prepay.
v. (-ring) 1 make or get ready for use, consideration, etc.
- assemble (a meal etc.).
- a make (a person or oneself) ready or disposed in some way (prepared them for a shock). B get ready (prepare to jump). be prepared (often foll. By for, or to + infin.) Be disposed or willing to. [latin paro make ready]
v. (-nn-) plan in advance.
n. - = *foreskin.
- fold of skin surrounding the clitoris. [latin praeputium]
- give warning of (an event etc.) By natural means.
- (of a person) predict or have a presentiment of. [latin praesagium]
—adj. - (usu. Predic.) Being in the place in question.
- a now existing, occurring, or being such. B now being considered etc. (in the present case).
- gram. Expressing an action etc. Now going on or habitually performed (present participle). —n. (prec. By the) 1 the time now passing (no time like the present).
- gram. Present tense. at present now. By these presents law by this document. For the present just now; for the time being. [latin praesens -ent-]
- v. - introduce, offer, or exhibit for attention or consideration.
- a (with a thing as object, foll. By to) offer or give as a gift (to a person). B (with a person as object, foll. By with) make available to; cause to have (that presents us with a problem).
- a (of a company, producer, etc.) Put (a piece of entertainment) before the public. B (of a performer, compère, etc.) Introduce.
- introduce (a person) formally (may i present my fiance?). 5 a (of a circumstance) reveal (some quality etc.) (this presents some difficulty). B exhibit (an appearance etc.).
- (of an idea etc.) Offer or suggest itself.
- deliver (a cheque, bill, etc.) For acceptance or payment.
- a (usu. Foll. By at) aim (a weapon). B hold out (a weapon) in position for aiming. present arms hold a rifle etc. Vertically in front of the body as a salute. presenter n. (in sense 3b). [latin praesento: related to *present1]
- n. Thing given, gift. [french: related to *present1]
v. (-ding) 1 (often foll. By at, over) be chairperson or president of a meeting etc.
- exercise control or authority. [latin sedeo sit]