Little Jimmy was staring at a dog in the park whilst the dog was licking himself in inappropriate parts and said to his dad, "I wish I could do that."
Jimmy"s dad looked down at Jimmy and said, "Maybe if you ask the dog nicely, he might let you!!"
n. Logic previous statement from which another is inferred. [var. Of *premise]
bond n. (also premium savings bond) government security without interest but with a draw for cash prizes.
- n. - amount to be paid for a contract of insurance.
- sum added to interest, wages, price, etc.
- reward or prize.
- (attrib.) (of a commodity) of the best quality and therefore more expensive. at a premium 1 highly valued; above the usual or nominal price.
- scarce and in demand. [latin praemium reward]
v. (also pre-package) pack (goods) on the site of production or before retail.
past and past part. Of *prepay.
- past and past part. Of *prepay.
v. (-ring) 1 make or get ready for use, consideration, etc.
- assemble (a meal etc.).
- a make (a person or oneself) ready or disposed in some way (prepared them for a shock). B get ready (prepare to jump). be prepared (often foll. By for, or to + infin.) Be disposed or willing to. [latin paro make ready]
v. (-nn-) plan in advance.
n. - = *foreskin.
- fold of skin surrounding the clitoris. [latin praeputium]
- give warning of (an event etc.) By natural means.
- (of a person) predict or have a presentiment of. [latin praesagium]
—adj. - (usu. Predic.) Being in the place in question.
- a now existing, occurring, or being such. B now being considered etc. (in the present case).
- gram. Expressing an action etc. Now going on or habitually performed (present participle). —n. (prec. By the) 1 the time now passing (no time like the present).
- gram. Present tense. at present now. By these presents law by this document. For the present just now; for the time being. [latin praesens -ent-]
- v. - introduce, offer, or exhibit for attention or consideration.
- a (with a thing as object, foll. By to) offer or give as a gift (to a person). B (with a person as object, foll. By with) make available to; cause to have (that presents us with a problem).
- a (of a company, producer, etc.) Put (a piece of entertainment) before the public. B (of a performer, compère, etc.) Introduce.
- introduce (a person) formally (may i present my fiance?). 5 a (of a circumstance) reveal (some quality etc.) (this presents some difficulty). B exhibit (an appearance etc.).
- (of an idea etc.) Offer or suggest itself.
- deliver (a cheque, bill, etc.) For acceptance or payment.
- a (usu. Foll. By at) aim (a weapon). B hold out (a weapon) in position for aiming. present arms hold a rifle etc. Vertically in front of the body as a salute. presenter n. (in sense 3b). [latin praesento: related to *present1]
- n. Thing given, gift. [french: related to *present1]
v. (-ding) 1 (often foll. By at, over) be chairperson or president of a meeting etc.
- exercise control or authority. [latin sedeo sit]