n. - extreme melancholy, often with a reduction in vitality and physical symptoms.
- econ. Long period of slump.
- lowering of atmospheric pressure; winds etc. Caused by this.
- hollow on a surface.
- pressing down.
—adj. - tending to depress (depressive drug, influence).
- of or tending towards depression (depressive illness; depressive father). —n. Person suffering from depression.
n. Delegation. [latin: related to *depute]
v. (-ting) remove regulations from. deregulation n.
v. Remove restrictions (esp. Speed limits) from. derestriction n.
n. - deriving or being derived.
- a formation of a word from another or from a root. B tracing of the origin of a word. C statement of this.
—adj. Derived; not original (his music is derivative). —n. - derived word or thing.
- math. Quantity measuring the rate of change of another.
n. Inflammation of the skin. [greek derma skin, *-itis]
adj. Disparaging; insulting (derogatory remark). derogatorily adv.
v. (-ting) remove the salt from (esp. Sea water). desalination n. [from *saline]