- (in passive; foll. By to + infin.) A be expected or required (was supposed to write to you). B (with neg.) Ought not; not be allowed to (you are not supposed to go in there). i suppose so expression of hesitant agreement. [french: related to *pose]
adj. - highest in authority or rank.
- greatest; most important.
- (of a penalty or sacrifice etc.) Involving death. supremely adv. [latin]
- court n. Highest judicial court in a state etc.
n. (pl. -s) person in overall charge. [spanish, = *supreme]
mail n. Mail carried by land or sea.
- tension n. Tension of the surface-film of a liquid, tending to minimize its surface area.
- —n. - a the outside of a thing. B area of this.
- any of the limits of a solid.
- top of a liquid or of the ground etc.
- outward or superficial aspect.
- geom. Set of points with length and breadth but no thickness.
- (attrib.) A of or on the surface. B superficial. —v. (-cing) 1 give the required surface to (a road, paper, etc.).
- rise or bring to the surface.
- become visible or known.
- colloq. Wake up; get up. come to the surface become perceptible. [french: related to *sur-1]
—n. - an excess, esp. In eating or drinking.
- resulting fullness. —v. (-t-) 1 overfeed.
- (foll. By with) (cause to) be wearied through excess. [french: related to *sur-1, *feat]
n. Sport of riding the surf on a board.
n. - medical practitioner qualified in surgery.
- naval or military medical officer.
n. (pl. -ies) 1 treatment of bodily injuries or disorders by incision or manipulation etc. As opposed to drugs.
- place where or time when a doctor, dentist, etc., treats patients, or an mp, lawyer, etc., gives advice. [latin chirurgia, from greek kheir hand, ergo work]