A little boy comes home with his mother from a trip down town. Above his head he has a big bunch of balloons.
- Why do you need so many? - Asks his father. - Did not your mother and I teach you that you should save your money?
- I did not spend any! Its just that every time Mummy bought something the salesperson gave me a free balloon.
—v. (-ies, -ied) 1 make an effort with a view to success (often foll. By to + infin.; colloq. Foll. By and + infin.: tried to be on time; try and be early).
- make an effort to achieve (tried my best).
- a test by use or experiment. B test the qualities of.
- make severe demands on (tries my patience).
- examine the effectiveness of for a purpose (try cold water; have you tried kicking it?).
- ascertain the state of fastening of (a door, window, etc.).
- a investigate and decide (a case or issue) judicially. B (often foll. By for) subject (a person) to trial (tried for murder).
- (foll. By for) apply or compete for; seek to reach or attain (try for a gold medal). —n. (pl. -ies) 1 effort to accomplish something.
- rugby touching-down of the ball behind the opposing goal-line, scoring points and entitling the scoring side to a kick at the goal. try one's hand test how skilful one is, esp. At the first attempt. Try it on colloq. Try to get away with an unreasonable request etc. Try on put on (clothes etc.) To see if they fit etc. Try out put to the test, test thoroughly. [originally = separate, distinguish, from french trier sift]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".