figure n. - jointed figure of a human body used by artists for arranging drapery on etc.
- unrealistic character in a novel etc. [dutch led joint]
- reader n. Lay person licensed to conduct some religious services.
- —v. (past and past part. Laid) 1 place on a surface, esp. Horizontally or in the proper or specified place.
- put or bring into the required position or state (lay carpet).
- make by laying (lay foundations).
- (often absol.) (of a hen bird) produce (an egg).
- cause to subside or lie flat.
- (usu. Foll. By on); attribute or impute (blame etc.).
- prepare or make ready (a plan or trap).
- prepare (a table) for a meal.
- arrange the material for (a fire). 10 put down as a wager; stake. 11 (foll. By with) coat or strew (a surface). 12 slang offens. Have sexual intercourse with (esp. A woman). —n. - way, position, or direction in which something lies.
- slang offens. Partner (esp. Female) in, or act of, sexual intercourse. lay about one hit out on all sides. Lay aside 1 put to one side.
- cease to consider. Lay at the door of impute to. Lay bare expose, reveal. Lay claim to claim as one's own. Lay down 1 put on a flat surface.
- give up (an office).
- formulate (a rule).
- store (wine) for maturing.
- sacrifice (one's life). Lay (one's) hands on obtain, locate. Lay hands on seize or attack. Lay hold of seize. Lay in provide oneself with a stock of. Lay into colloq. Punish or scold harshly. Lay it on thick (or with a trowel) colloq. Flatter or exaggerate grossly. Lay low overthrow or humble. Lay off 1 discharge (unneeded workers) temporarily; make redundant.
- colloq. Desist. Lay on 1 provide.
- inflict (blows).
- spread on (paint etc.). Lay open 1 break the skin of.
- (foll. By to) expose (to criticism etc.). Lay out 1 spread out, expose to view.
- prepare (a corpse) for burial.
- colloq. Knock unconscious.
- arrange (grounds etc.) According to a design.
- adj. - a non-clerical. B not ordained into the clergy.
- a not professionally qualified. B of or done by such persons. [greek laos people]
- n. - short poem meant to be sung.
- song. [french]
- past of *lie1.
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".
Crocodiles and alligators are surprisingly fast on land. Although they are rapid, they are not agile; so if you ever find yourself chased by one, run in a zigzag line. You"ll lose him or her every time.