- absentia adv. In (his, her, or their) absence. [latin]
- extremis adj. - at the point of death.
- in great difficulties; in an emergency. [latin]
- flagrante delicto adv. In the very act of committing an offence. [latin, = in blazing crime]
- loco parentis adv. (acting) for or instead of a parent. [latin]
- memoriam prep. In memory of (a dead person). [latin]
- re prep. = *re1. [latin]
- situ adv. In its proper or original place. [latin]
- symb. Indium.
- toto adv. Completely. [latin]
- vitro adv. (of biological processes) taking place in a test-tube or other laboratory environment. [latin, = in glass]
- —prep. - expressing inclusion or position within limits of space, time, circumstance, etc. (in england; in bed; in 1989; in the rain).
- a within (a certain time) (finished it in two hours).
- prefix (also il-, im-, ir-) added to: 1 adjectives, meaning ‘not’ (inedible; insane).
- nouns, meaning ‘without, lacking’ (inaction). [latin]
- prefix (also il-, im-, ir-) in, on, into, towards, within (induce; influx; insight; intrude). [from *in, or from latin in (prep.)]