n. - mus. Note equal to two crotchets or half a semibreve.
- one-sixtieth of a fluid drachm, about a drop. [latin minimus least]
—adj. - lesser or comparatively small in size or importance (minor poet).
- mus. A (of a scale) having intervals of a semitone above its second, fifth, and seventh notes. B (of an interval) less by a semitone than a major interval. C (of a key) based on a minor scale. —n. - person under full legal age.
- us student's subsidiary subject or course. —v. (foll. By in) us study (a subject) as a subsidiary. [latin, = less]
sign n. The symbol –, indicating subtraction or a negative value.
- —prep. - with the subtraction of (7 minus 4 equals 3).
- below zero (minus 2°).
- colloq. Lacking (returned minus their dog). —adj. - math. Negative.
- electronics having a negative charge. —n. - = *minus sign.
- math. Negative quantity.
- colloq. Disadvantage. [latin, neuter of *minor]
abbr. Mortgage interest relief at source.
n. Merriment, laughter. mirthful adj. [old english: related to *merry]
n. - person who hoards wealth and lives miserably.