A college student was delivering pizza to a regular customer"s house in New York.
The guy who answered the door asked him, "What is the usual tip?"
"Well," replied the youth,"this is my first trip here, but the other guys say if I get a quarter out of you, I"ll be doing great."
"Is that so?" snorted the man. "Well, just to show them how wrong they are, here"s five dollars."
"Thanks!" replied the youth, "I"ll put this in my school fund."
"What are you studying?" asked the man.
The lad smiled and said: "Applied psychology."
v. (-tt-; past and past part. Sat) 1 support the body by resting the buttocks on the ground or a seat etc.
- cause to sit; place in a sitting position.
- a (of a bird) perch or warm the eggs in its nest. B (of an animal) rest with the hind legs bent and the buttocks on the ground.
- (of a committee etc.) Be in session.
- (usu. Foll. By for) pose (for a portrait).
- (foll. By for) be a member of parliament for (a constituency).
- (often foll. By for) take (an examination).
- be in a more or less permanent position or condition (left sitting in rome; parcel sitting on the doorstep).
- (of clothes etc.) Fit or hang in a certain way. 10 babysit. be sitting pretty be comfortably placed. Sit at a person's feet be a person's pupil. Sit back relax one's efforts. Sit down 1 sit after standing.
- cause to sit.
- (foll. By under) submit tamely to (an insult etc.). Sit in 1 occupy a place as a protest.
- (foll. By for) take the place of.
- (foll. By on) be present as a guest or observer at (a meeting etc.). Sit in judgement be censorious or self-righteous. Sit on 1 be a member of (a committee etc.).
- hold a session or inquiry concerning.
- colloq. Delay action about.
- colloq. Repress, rebuke, or snub. Sit on the fence remain neutral or undecided. Sit out 1 take no part in (a dance etc.).
- stay till the end of (esp. An ordeal).
- sit outdoors. Sit tight colloq. - remain firmly in one's place.
- not yield. Sit up 1 rise from lying to sitting.
- sit firmly upright.
- go to bed late.
- colloq. Become interested or aroused etc. Sit well on suit or fit. [old english]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".