Little Johnny and his family lived in the country, and as a result seldom had guests. He was eager to help his mother after his father appeared with two dinner guests from the office. When the dinner was nearly over, Little Johnny went to the kitchen and proudly carried in the first piece of apple pie, giving it to his father who passed it to a guest.
Little Johnny came in with a second piece of pie and gave it to his father, who again gave it to a guest.
This was too much for Little Johnny, who said, "It"s no use, Dad. The pieces are all the same size."
—v. (-tt-; past and past part. Put) 1 move to or cause to be in a specified place or position (put it in your pocket; put the children to bed).
- bring into a specified condition or state (puts me in great difficulty).
- (often foll. By on, to) impose, enforce, assign, or apply (put a tax on beer; where do you put the blame?; put a stop to it; put it to good use).
- place (a person) or (refl.) Imagine (oneself) in a specified position (put them at their ease; put yourself in my shoes).
- (foll. By for) substitute (one thing) for (another).
- express in a specified way (to put it mildly).
- (foll. By at) estimate (an amount etc.) At so much (put the cost at £50).
- (foll. By into) express or translate in (words, or another language).
- (foll. By into) invest (money in an asset, e.g. Land). 10 (foll. By on) stake (money) on (a horse etc.). 11 (foll. By to) submit for attention (put it to a vote). 12 throw (esp. A shot or weight) as a sport. 13 (foll. By back, off, out to sea, etc.) (of a ship etc.) Proceed in a specified direction. —n. Throw of the shot etc. put about 1 spread (information, a rumour, etc.).
- naut. Turn round; put (a ship) on the opposite tack. Put across 1 communicate (an idea etc.) Effectively.
- (often in put it (or one) across) achieve by deceit. Put away 1 restore (a thing) to its usual or former place.
- lay (money etc.) Aside for future use.
- imprison or commit to a home etc.
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".