bull terrier n. Small american dog noted for ferocity.
- of the stomach n. Depression below the breastbone.
- —n. - a deep hole in the ground, usu. Large. B coalmine. C covered hole as a trap for animals.
- hollow on a surface, esp. An indentation of the skin.
- a = orchestra pit (see *orchestra 2). B usu. Hist. Seating at the back of the stalls.
- (the pits) slang worst imaginable place, situation, person, etc.
- a area at the side of a track where racing cars are serviced and refuelled. B sunken area in a workshop floor for access to a car's underside. —v. (-tt-) 1 (usu. Foll. By against) set (one's wits, strength, etc.) In competition.
- (usu. As pitted adj.) Make pits, scars, craters, etc. In.
- put into a pit. [old english from latin puteus well]
- v. (-tt-) (usu. As pitted adj.) Remove stones from (fruit). [origin uncertain]