Little Johnny was sitting on a park bench munching on one candy bar after another.
After the sixth one a man on the bench across from him said, "Son, you know eating all that candy isn’t good for you. It will give you acne, rot your teeth, make you fat."
Little Johnny replied, "My grandfather lived to be 107 years old."
The man asked, "Did your grandfather eat 6 candy bars at a time?"
Little Johnny answered, "No, he minded his own business!"
- —v. (past and past part. Paid) 1 (also absol.) Give (a person etc.) What is due for services done, goods received, debts incurred, etc. (paid him in full).
- a give (a usu. Specified amount) for work done, a debt, etc. (they pay £6 an hour). B (foll. By to) hand over the amount of (a debt, wages, etc.) To (paid the money to the assistant).
- a give, bestow, or express (attention, a compliment, etc.) (paid them no heed). B make (a visit) (paid a call on their uncle).
- (also absol.) (of a business, attitude, etc.) Be profitable or advantageous to (a person etc.).
- reward or punish (shall pay you for that).
- (usu. As paid adj.) Recompense (work, time, etc.) (paid holiday).
- (usu. Foll. By out, away) let out (a rope) by slackening it. —n. Wages. in the pay of employed by. Pay back 1 repay.
- punish or have revenge on. Pay for 1 hand over the money for.
- bear the cost of.
- suffer or be punished for (a fault etc.). Pay in pay (money) into a bank etc. Account. Pay its (or one's) way cover costs. Pay one's last respects attend a funeral to show respect. Pay off 1 dismiss (workers) with a final payment.
- colloq. Yield good results; succeed.
- pay (a debt) in full. Pay one's respects make a polite visit. Pay through the nose colloq. Pay much more than a fair price. Pay up pay the full amount (of). Put paid to colloq. - deal effectively with (a person).
- terminate (hopes etc.). payee n. [latin paco appease: related to *peace]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".