The general went out to find that none of his GIs were there. One finally ran up, panting heavily.
"Sorry, sir! I can explain, you see I had a date and it ran a little late. I ran to the bus but missed it, I hailed a cab but it broke down, found a farm, bought a horse but it dropped dead, ran 10 miles, and now I"m here."
The general was very skeptical about this explanation but at least he was here so he let the G.I. go.
Moments later, eight more GIs came up to the general panting, he asked them why they were late.
"Sorry, sir! I had a date and it ran a little late, I ran to the bus but missed it, I hailed a cab but it broke down, found a farm, bought a horse but it dropped dead, ran 10 miles, and now I"m here."
The general eyed them, feeling very skeptical but since he let the first guy go, he let them go, too.
A ninth GI jogged up to the general, panting heavily. "Sorry, sir! I had a date and it ran a little late, I ran to the bus but missed it, I hailed a cab but..."
"Let me guess," the general interrupted, "it broke down."
"No," said the G.I., "there were so many dead horses in the road, it took forever to get around them."
Abbr. Number. [latin numero, ablative of numerus number]
- claim bonus n. (also no claims bonus) reduction of an insurance premium after an agreed period without a claim.
- go adj. (usu. Hyphenated when attrib.) Colloq. Impossible, hopeless; forbidden (tried to get him to agree, but it was clearly no go; no-go area).
- man's land n. - space between two opposing armies.
- area not assigned to any owner.
- one n. No person; nobody.
- adj. - not any (there is no excuse).
- not a, quite other than (is no fool).
- hardly any (did it in no time).
- used elliptically in a notice etc., to forbid etc. The thing specified (no parking). no way colloq. - it is impossible.
- i will not agree etc. No wonder see *wonder. [related to *none]
- symb. Nobelium.
- var. Of *noh.
- —adv. - indicating that the answer to the question is negative, the statement etc. Made or course of action intended or conclusion arrived at is not correct or satisfactory, the request or command will not be complied with, or the negative statement made is correct.
- (foll. By compar.) By no amount; not at all (no better than before). —n. (pl. Noes) 1 utterance of the word no.
- denial or refusal.
- ‘no’ vote. no longer not now or henceforth as formerly. Or no or not (pleasant or no, it is true). [old english]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".