profit n. Actual gain after working expenses have been paid.
- —n. - open-meshed fabric of cord, rope, etc.
- piece of net used esp. To restrain, contain, or delimit, or to catch fish etc.
- structure with a net used in various games. —v. (-tt-) 1 a cover, confine, or catch with a net. B procure as with a net.
- hit (a ball) into the net, esp. Of a goal. [old english]
- (also nett) —adj. - (esp. Of money) remaining after all necessary deductions.
- (of a price) not reducible.
- (of a weight) excluding that of the packaging etc.
- (of an effect, result, etc.) Ultimate, actual. —v. (-tt-) gain or yield (a sum) as net profit. [french: related to *neat]