Tom had won a toy at a raffle. He called his kids together to ask which one should have the present.
“Who is the most obedient?” he asked. “Who never talks back to mother? Who does everything she says?”
Five small voices answered in unison. “Okay, dad, you get the toy.”
- —v. (lies; lying; past lay; past part. Lain) 1 be in or assume a horizontal position on a surface; be at rest on something.
- (of a thing) rest flat on a surface.
- remain undisturbed or undiscussed etc. (let matters lie).
- a be kept, remain, or be in a specified state or place (lie hidden; lie in wait; books lay unread). B (of abstract things) exist; be in a certain position or relation (answer lies in education).
- a be situated (village lay to the east). B be spread out to view. —n. Way, direction, or position in which a thing lies. lie down assume a lying position; have a short rest. Lie down under accept (an insult etc.) Without protest. Lie in stay in bed late in the morning. Lie low 1 keep quiet or unseen.
- be discreet about one's intentions. Lie with be the responsibility of (a person) (decision lies with you). Take lying down (usu. With neg.) Accept (an insult etc.) Without protest. [old english]
- —n. - intentionally false statement (tell a lie).
- something that deceives. —v. (lies, lied, lying) 1 tell a lie or lies.
- (of a thing) be deceptive. give the lie to show the falsity of (a supposition etc.). [old english]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".