"I have good news and bad news," the defense lawyer says to his client.
"Whats the bad news?"
The lawyer says, "Your blood matches the DNA found at the murder scene."
"Dammit!" cries the client. "What"s the good news?"
"Well," the lawyer says, "Your cholesterol is down to 140."
suffix forming nouns, usu. Diminutive (flatlet) or denoting articles of ornament or dress (anklet). [french]
- —v. (-tt-; past and past part. Let) 1 a allow to, not prevent or forbid. B cause to (let me know).
- (foll. By into) allow to enter.
- grant the use of (rooms, land, etc.) For rent or hire.
- allow or cause (liquid or air) to escape (let blood).
- aux. Supplying the first and third persons of the imperative in exhortations (let us pray), commands (let it be done at once; let there be light), assumptions, etc. (let ab equal cd). —n. Act of letting a house, room, etc. let alone 1 not to mention, far less or more (hasn't got a television, let alone a video).
- = let be. Let be not interfere with, attend to, or do. Let down 1 lower.
- fail to support or satisfy, disappoint.
- lengthen (a garment).
- deflate (a tyre). Let down gently reject or disappoint without humiliating. Let drop (or fall) drop (esp. A word or hint) intentionally or by accident. Let go 1 release.
- a (often foll. By of) lose one's hold. B lose hold of. Let oneself go 1 act spontaneously.
- neglect one's appearance or habits. Let in 1 allow to enter (let the dog in; let in a flood of light).
- (foll. By for) involve (a person, often oneself) in loss or difficulty.
- (foll. By on) allow (a person) to share a secret, privileges, etc. Let loose release, unchain. Let off 1 a fire (a gun). B explode (a bomb).
- allow or cause (steam etc.) To escape.
- a not punish or compel. B (foll. By with) punish lightly.
- —n. Obstruction of a ball or player in tennis etc., requiring the ball to be served again. —v. (-tt-; past and past part. Letted or let) archaic hinder, obstruct. without let or hindrance unimpeded. [old english: related to *late]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".