lord n. Member of the house of lords qualified to perform its legal work.
- n. - a rule enacted or customary in a community and recognized as commanding or forbidding certain actions. B body of such rules.
- controlling influence of laws; respect for laws.
- laws collectively as a social system or subject of study.
- binding force (her word is law).
- (prec. By the) a the legal profession. B colloq. The police.
- (in pl.) Jurisprudence.
- a the judicial remedy. B the lawcourts as providing this (go to law).
- rule of action or procedure.
- regularity in natural occurrences (laws of nature; law of gravity). 10 divine commandments. be a law unto oneself do what one considers right; disregard custom. Lay down the law be dogmatic or authoritarian. Take the law into one's own hands redress a grievance by one's own means, esp. By force. [old english from old norse, = thing laid down]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".