—v. (-ving; past gave; past part. Given) 1 transfer the possession of freely; hand over as a present; donate.
- a transfer temporarily; provide with (gave him the dog to hold; gave her a new hip). B administer (medicine). C deliver (a message).
- (usu. Foll. By for) make over in exchange or payment.
- a confer; grant (a benefit, honour, etc.). B accord; bestow (love, time, etc.). C pledge (gave his word).
- a perform (an action etc.) (gave a jump; gave a performance; gave an interview). B utter; declare (gave a shriek; gave the batsman out).
- (in passive; foll. By to) be inclined to or fond of (is given to boasting; is given to strong drink).
- yield to pressure; collapse.
- yield as a product or result (gives an average of 7).
- a consign, put (gave him into custody). B sanction the marriage of (a daughter etc.). 10 devote; dedicate (gave his life to the cause). 11 present; offer; show; hold out (gives no sign of life; gave her his arm; give me an example). 12 impart; be a source of; cause (gave me a cold; gave me trouble; gave much pain). 13 concede (i give you the benefit of the doubt). 14 deliver (a judgement etc.) Authoritatively. 15 provide (a party, meal, etc.) As host. 16 (in past part.) Assume or grant or specify (given the circumstances; in a given situation; given that we earn so little). 17 (absol.) Colloq. Tell what one knows. —n. Capacity to yield or comply; elasticity. give and take 1 exchange of words, ideas, blows, etc.
- ability to compromise. Give away 1 transfer as a gift.
- hand over (a bride) to a bridegroom.
- reveal (a secret etc.). Give the game (or show) away reveal a secret or intention. Give in 1 yield; acknowledge defeat.
- hand in (a document etc.) To an official etc. Give it to a person colloq. Scold or punish. Give me i prefer (give me greece any day). Give off emit (fumes etc.). Give oneself up to 1 abandon oneself to (despair etc.).
- addict oneself to. Give on to (or into) (of a window, corridor, etc.) Overlook or lead into. Give or take colloq. Accepting as a margin of error in estimating. Give out 1 announce; emit; distribute.
- be exhausted.
- run short. Give over 1 colloq. Stop or desist.
- hand over.
- devote. Give rise to cause. Give a person to understand inform or assure. Give up 1 resign; surrender.
- part with.
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".