—n. - form of play or sport, esp. A competitive one with rules.
- portion of play forming a scoring unit, e.g. In bridge or tennis.
- (in pl.) Series of athletic etc. Contests (olympic games).
- a piece of fun, jest (didn't mean to upset you; it was only a game). B (in pl.) Dodges, tricks (none of your games!).
- colloq. A scheme (so that's your game). B type of activity or business (have been in the antiques game a long time).
- a wild animals or birds hunted for sport or food. B their flesh as food. —adj. Spirited; eager and willing (are you game for a walk?). —v. (-ming) gamble for money stakes. the game is up scheme is revealed or foiled. On the game slang involved in prostitution. gamely adv. [old english]