A father and son went fishing one day. While they were out in the boat, the boy suddenly became curious about the world around him. He asked his father, "How does this boat float?"
The father replied, "Don"t rightly know, son."
A little later, the boy looked at his father and asked, "How do fish breath underwater?"
Once again the father replied, "Don"t rightly know, son."
A little later the boy asked his father, "Why is the sky blue?"
Again, the father replied, "Don"t rightly know, son."
Finally, the boy asked his father, "Dad, do you mind my asking you all of these questions?"
The father replied, "Of course not, you don"t ask questions, you never learn nothin"."
prefix forming verbs etc. Meaning: 1 away, off (forget; forgive).
- prohibition (forbid).
- abstention or neglect (forgo; forsake). [old english]
- —prep. - in the interest or to the benefit of; intended to go to (did it all for my country; these flowers are for you).
- in defence, support, or favour of.
- suitable or appropriate to (a dance for beginners; not for me to say).
- in respect of or with reference to; regarding (usual for ties to be worn; ready for bed).
- representing or in place of (mp for lincoln; here for my uncle).
- in exchange with, at the price of, corresponding to (swapped it for a cake; give me £5 for it; bought it for £5; word for word).
- as a consequence of (fined for speeding; decorated for bravery; here's £5 for your trouble).
- a with a view to; in the hope or quest of; in order to get (go for a walk; send for a doctor; did it for the money). B on account of (could not speak for laughing).
- to reach; towards (left for rome). 10 so as to start promptly at (meet at seven for eight). 11 through or over (a distance or period); during (walked for miles). 12 as being (for the last time; i for one refuse). 13 in spite of; notwithstanding (for all your fine words). 14 considering or making due allowance in respect of (good for a beginner). —conj. Because, since, seeing that. be for it colloq. Be about to be punished etc. For all (that) in spite of, although. For ever for all time (cf. *forever). [old english reduced form of *fore]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".