A father and son went fishing one day. While they were out in the boat, the boy suddenly became curious about the world around him. He asked his father, "How does this boat float?"
The father replied, "Don"t rightly know, son."
A little later, the boy looked at his father and asked, "How do fish breath underwater?"
Once again the father replied, "Don"t rightly know, son."
A little later the boy asked his father, "Why is the sky blue?"
Again, the father replied, "Don"t rightly know, son."
Finally, the boy asked his father, "Dad, do you mind my asking you all of these questions?"
The father replied, "Of course not, you don"t ask questions, you never learn nothin"."
—adj. (fitter, fittest) 1 a well suited. B qualified, competent, worthy. C in suitable condition, ready. D (foll. By for) good enough (fit for a king).
- in good health or condition.
- proper, becoming, right (it is fit that). —v. (-tt-) 1 a (also absol.) Be of the right shape and size for (dress fits her; key doesn't fit). B (often foll. By in, into) be correctly positioned (that bit fits here). C find room for (fit another on here).
- make suitable or competent; adapt (fitted for battle).
- (usu. Foll. By with) supply.
- fix in place (fit a lock on the door).
- = fit on.
- befit, become (it fits the occasion). —n. Way in which a garment, component, etc., fits (tight fit). —adv. (foll. By to + infin.) Colloq. So that; likely (laughing fit to bust). fit the bill = fill the bill. Fit in 1 (often foll. By with) be compatible; accommodate (tried to fit in with their plans).
- find space or time for (dentist fitted me in). Fit on try on (a garment). Fit out (or up) (often foll. By with) equip. See (or think) fit (often foll. By to + infin.) Decide or choose (a specified action). fitly adv. Fitness n. [origin unknown]
- n. - sudden esp. Epileptic seizure with unconsciousness or convulsions.
- sudden brief bout or burst (fit of giggles; fit of coughing). by (or in) fits and starts spasmodically. Have a fit colloq. Be greatly surprised or outraged. In fits laughing uncontrollably. [old english]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".