A boy is about to go on his first date, and is nervous about what to talk about. He asks his father for advice.
The father replies, "My son, there are three subjects that always work. These are food, family, and philosophy."
The boy picks up his date and they go to a soda fountain. Ice cream sodas in front of them, they stare at each other for a long time, as the boy"s nervousness builds.
He remembers his father"s advice, and chooses the first topic.
He asks the girl, "Do you like spinach?"
She says "No," and the silence returns.
After a few more uncomfortable minutes, the boy thinks of his father"s suggestion and turns to the second item on the list. He asks, "Do you have a brother?" Again, the girl says "No" and there is silence once again.
The boy then plays his last card. He thinks of his father"s advice and asks the girl the following question: "If you had a brother, would he like spinach?"
care n. Care of young children, the elderly, the handicapped, etc. During the working day.
- centre n. Place for care of the elderly or handicapped during the day.
- n. - time between sunrise and sunset.
- a 24 hours as a unit of time. B corresponding period on other planets (martian day).
- daylight (clear as day).
- time during which work is normally done (eight-hour day).
- a (also pl.) Historical period (in those days). B (prec. By the) present time (issues of the day).
- prime of a person's life (have had my day; in my day).
- a future time (will do it one day).
- date of a specific festival or event etc. (graduation day; christmas day).
- battle or contest (win the day). all in a day's work part of the normal routine. At the end of the day when all is said and done. Call it a day end a period of activity. Day after day without respite. Day and night all the time. Day by day gradually. Day in, day out routinely, constantly. Not one's day day when things go badly (for a person). One of these days soon. One of those days day when things go badly. That will be the day colloq. That will never happen. [old english]
- nursery n. Nursery for children of working parents.
- of reckoning n. Time when something must be atoned for or avenged.
- off n. Day's holiday.
- release n. Part-time education for employees.
- return n. Reduced fare or ticket for a return journey in one day.
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".