—n. - day of the month, esp. As a number.
- particular, esp. Historical, day or year.
- day, month, and year of writing etc., at the head of a document etc.
- period to which a work of art etc. Belongs.
- time when an event takes place.
- colloq. A appointment, esp. Social with a person of the opposite sex. B us person to be met at this. —v. (-ting) 1 mark with a date.
- a assign a date to (an object, event, etc.). B (foll. By to) assign to a particular time, period, etc.
- (often foll. By from, back to, etc.) Have its origins at a particular time.
- appear or expose as old-fashioned (design that does not date; that hat dates you).
- us colloq. A make a date with. B go out together as sexual partners. out of date (attrib. Out-of-date) old-fashioned, obsolete. To date until now. Up to date (attrib. Up-to-date) modern; fashionable; current. [french: related to *data]
- n. - dark oval single-stoned fruit.
- (in full date-palm) tree bearing it. [greek: related to *dactyl, from the shape of the leaf]