history n. Record of a person's life or medical history for use in professional treatment.
- n. - instance of something occurring.
- hypothetical or actual situation.
- a person's illness, circumstances, etc., as regarded by a doctor, social worker, etc. B such a person.
- matter under esp. Police investigation.
- suit at law.
- a sum of the arguments on one side, esp. In a lawsuit. B set of arguments (have a good case). C valid set of arguments (have no case).
- gram. A relation of a word to other words in a sentence. B form of a noun, adjective, or pronoun expressing this.
- colloq. Comical person. in any case whatever the truth is; whatever may happen. In case 1 in the event that; if.
- lest; in provision against a possibility (took it in case). In case of in the event of. Is (or is not) the case is (or is not) so. [latin casus from cado fall]
- —n. - container or enclosing covering.
- this with its contents.
- protective outer covering.
- item of luggage, esp. A suitcase. —v. (-sing) 1 enclose in a case.
- (foll. By with) surround.
- slang reconnoitre (a house etc.) Before burgling it. [latin capsa box]