A boy is about to go on his first date, and is nervous about what to talk about. He asks his father for advice.
The father replies, "My son, there are three subjects that always work. These are food, family, and philosophy."
The boy picks up his date and they go to a soda fountain. Ice cream sodas in front of them, they stare at each other for a long time, as the boy"s nervousness builds.
He remembers his father"s advice, and chooses the first topic.
He asks the girl, "Do you like spinach?"
She says "No," and the silence returns.
After a few more uncomfortable minutes, the boy thinks of his father"s suggestion and turns to the second item on the list. He asks, "Do you have a brother?" Again, the girl says "No" and there is silence once again.
The boy then plays his last card. He thinks of his father"s advice and asks the girl the following question: "If you had a brother, would he like spinach?"
- bang theory n. Theory that the universe began with the explosion of dense matter.
- brother n. Supposedly benevolent watchful dictator.
- end n. (in a vehicle) end of the connecting-rod, encircling the crankpin.
- money n. Large amounts of money.
- noise n. (also big shot) colloq. = *bigwig.
- stick n. Colloq. Display of force.
- time n. (prec. By the) slang success, esp. In show business. big-timer n.
- top n. Main tent in a circus.
- wheel n. Ferris wheel.
- —adj. (bigger, biggest) 1 a of considerable size, amount, intensity, etc. B of a large or the largest size (big toe).
- important (my big day).
- adult, elder (big sister).
- colloq. A boastful (big words). B often iron. Generous (big of him). C ambitious (big ideas).
- (usu. Foll. By with) advanced in pregnancy (big with child). —adv. Colloq. Impressively or grandly (think big). in a big way colloq. With great enthusiasm, display, etc. biggish adj. [origin unknown]
html-code online crossword dictionary:
To add to the dictionary krossvordista new word or its definition to an existing word, click on the "Add a word or definition of" fill opened form and click "to send".