n. Earnestness or fervour; hearty persistent endeavour. [greek zelos]
n. (pl. Same or -s) humped ox of asia and africa. [french]
n. An interpretation of the avesta. [persian]
n. (pl. -s) 1 figure 0; nought; nil.
- point on the scale of a thermometer etc. From which a positive or negative quantity is reckoned.
- (attrib.) No, not any (zero growth).
- (in full zero-hour) a hour at which a planned, esp. Military, operation is timed to begin. B crucial moment.
- lowest or earliest point (down to zero; the year zero). zero in on (-oes, -oed) 1 take aim at.
- focus one's attention on. [arabic: related to *cipher]
- option n. Disarmament proposal for the total removal of certain types of weapons on both sides.
n. - piquancy; stimulating flavour or quality.
- a keen enjoyment or interest. B (often foll. By for) relish. C gusto.
- scraping of orange or lemon peel as flavouring. zestful adj. Zestfully adv. [french]
n. Sixth letter of the greek alphabet (z, z). [greek]
n. Greyish-white metallic element used as a component of brass and in galvanizing sheet iron. [german zink]
colloq. —n. Vigour, energy. —v. Move swiftly, esp. With a high-pitched ringing sound. [imitative]
n. - ancient jerusalem; its holy hill.
- a the jewish people or religion. B the christian church.
- the kingdom of heaven. [hebrew siyôn]
—n. - area having particular features, properties, purpose, or use (danger zone; smokeless zone).
- well-defined region of more or less beltlike form.
- area between two concentric circles.
- encircling band of colour etc.
- archaic belt, girdle. —v. (-ning) 1 encircle as or with a zone.
- arrange or distribute by zones.
- assign as or to a particular area. zonal adj. [greek zone girdle]