A boy is about to go on his first date, and is nervous about what to talk about. He asks his father for advice.
The father replies, "My son, there are three subjects that always work. These are food, family, and philosophy."
The boy picks up his date and they go to a soda fountain. Ice cream sodas in front of them, they stare at each other for a long time, as the boy"s nervousness builds.
He remembers his father"s advice, and chooses the first topic.
He asks the girl, "Do you like spinach?"
She says "No," and the silence returns.
After a few more uncomfortable minutes, the boy thinks of his father"s suggestion and turns to the second item on the list. He asks, "Do you have a brother?" Again, the girl says "No" and there is silence once again.
The boy then plays his last card. He thinks of his father"s advice and asks the girl the following question: "If you had a brother, would he like spinach?"
- off adj. (also well-off) 1 having plenty of money.
- in a fortunate situation.
- —adv. (better, best) 1 in a satisfactory way (works well).
- with some distinction (plays the piano well).
- in a kind way (treated me well).
- thoroughly, carefully (polish it well).
- with heartiness or approval (speak well of).
- probably, reasonably (you may well be right).
- to a considerable extent (is well over forty). —adj. (better, best) 1 (usu. Predic.) In good health.
- (predic.) A in a satisfactory state or position. B advisable (it would be well to enquire). —int. Expressing surprise, resignation, etc., or used to introduce speech. leave well alone avoid needless change or disturbance. Well and truly decisively, completely. Well away 1 having made considerable progress.
- colloq. Fast asleep or drunk. Well done! Expressing praise for something done. Well worth certainly worth. [old english]
- —n. - shaft sunk into the ground to obtain water, oil, etc.
- enclosed space like a well-shaft, e.g. In the middle of a building for stairs or a lift, or for light or ventilation.
- (foll. By of) source.
- (in pl.) Spa.
- = *ink-well.
- archaic water-spring.
- railed space in a lawcourt. —v. (foll. By out, up) spring as from a fountain. [old english]
—n. - leather rim sewn round the edge of a shoe-upper for the sole to be attached to.
- = *weal1.
- ribbed or reinforced border of a garment.
- heavy blow. —v. - provide with a welt.
- raise weals on; thrash. [origin unknown]
v. wend one's way make one's way. [old english, = turn]
past of *go1.
past of *weep.
2nd sing. Past, pl. Past, and past subjunctive of *be.
- contr. We are.
country n. South-western england.
- end n. Main entertainment and shopping area of london.
- indian n. - native or national of the west indies.
- person of west indian descent.
- side n. Us western part of manhattan.
- —n. - a point of the horizon where the sun sets at the equinoxes. B compass point corresponding to this. C direction in which this lies.
- (usu. The west) a european civilization. B states of western europe and n. America. C western part of a country, town, etc. —adj. - towards, at, near, or facing the west.
- from the west (west wind). —adv. - towards, at, or near the west.
- (foll. By of) further west than. go west slang be killed or destroyed etc. To the west (often followed by of) in a westerly direction. [old english]
—interrog. Adj. - asking for a choice from an indefinite number or for a statement of amount, number, or kind (what books have you read?).
- colloq. = *which interrog.adj. (what book have you chosen?). —adj. (usu. In an exclamation) how great or remarkable (what luck!). —rel. Adj. The or any … that (will give you what help i can). —pron. (corresponding to the functions of the adj.) 1 what thing or things? (what is your name?; i don't know what you mean).
- (asking for a remark to be repeated) = what did you say? 3 how much (what you must have suffered!).
- (as rel. Pron.) That or those which; a or the or any thing which (what followed was worse; tell me what you think). —adv. To what extent (what does it matter?). what about what is the news or your opinion of. What-d'you-call-it colloq. Substitute for a name not recalled. What ever what at all or in any way (what ever do you mean?) (see also *whatever). What for colloq. - for what reason? 2 severe reprimand (esp. Give a person what for). What have you (prec. By or or and) colloq. Anything else similar. What not (prec. By and) other similar things. What's-his (or -her or -its) -name colloq. Substitute for a name not recalled. What's what colloq. What is useful or important etc. What with colloq. Because of (usu. Several things). [old english]