n. Winding mechanism, esp. Of a clock or watch.
n. - a opening in a wall etc., usu. With glass to admit light etc. B the glass itself.
- space for display behind the window of a shop.
- window-like opening.
- opportunity to learn from observation.
- transparent part in an envelope showing an address.
- vdu display showing a particular part of the data. windowless adj. [old norse, = wind-eye]
—n. - conclusion; finish.
- colloq. Attempt to provoke. —attrib. Adj. (of a mechanism) operating by being wound up.
n. - (in football etc.) Wing player.
- (in comb.) Member of a specified political wing.
—n. Small edible sea snail. —v. (-ling) (foll. By out) extract with difficulty. [abbreviation of *periwinkle2]
n. - person etc. That wins.
- colloq. Successful or highly promising idea etc.
v. - blow (grain) free of chaff etc. By an air-current.
- (foll. By out, away, from, etc.) Get rid of (chaff etc.) From grain.
- sift, examine (evidence etc.). [old english: related to *wind1]
garden n. Garden or conservatory of plants flourishing in winter.
- jasmine n. Jasmine with yellow flowers in winter.
- solstice n. About 22 dec.
- sports n.pl. Sports performed on snow or ice.
- —n. - coldest and last season of the year.
- (attrib.) Characteristic of or fit for winter. —v. (usu. Foll. By at, in) pass the winter. [old english]
adj. (-ier, -iest) 1 characteristic of winter.
- lacking warmth; unfriendly. wintriness n.
n. System or installation of wires providing electrical circuits.