Wayne was returning home from a business trip... bags in hand ... and slowly making his way to his vehicle in the crowded airport garage.
Suddenly a large dark car screeched to a stop in front of Wayne, and the driver pointed menacingly at him. “Get in," the driver ordered. "I"ll take you to your car."
Startled, Wayne took a step backward. "Ah ... no thanks," he answered. "I can get there myself."
"No," the man barked back as he threw open his passenger side door. "Get In !"
Wayne’s eyes now darted around the garage, hoping to find a security guard.
Just then, the driver’s face softened. "Please," he said, "I’ve been driving up and down for two hours. I can’t find a space to park and I want yours.
—v. - (foll. By away, off) a brush with a sweeping movement. B take suddenly.
- whip (cream, eggs, etc.).
- convey or go (esp. Out of sight) lightly or quickly.
- wave or lightly brandish. —n. - whisking action or motion.
- utensil for whisking eggs or cream etc.
- bunch of grass, twigs, bristles, etc., for removing dust or flies. [scandinavian]
drive n. Social occasion with the playing of progressive whist.
- n. Card-game usu. For two pairs of players. [earlier whisk, perhaps from *whisk (with ref. To whisking away the tricks): perhaps associated with whist! (= silence)]
ant n. Termite.
- cell n. Leucocyte.
- corpuscle n. = *white cell.
- elephant n. Useless possession.
- feather n. Symbol of cowardice.
- flag n. Symbol of surrender.
- friar n. Carmelite.
- goods n.pl. Large domestic electrical equipment.
- heat n. - temperature at which metal emits white light.
- state of intense passion or activity. white-hot adj.
- hope n. Person expected to achieve much.
- horses n.pl. White-crested waves at sea.
- lead n. Mixture of lead carbonate and hydrated lead oxide used as pigment.
- lie n. Harmless or trivial untruth.
- light n. Apparently colourless light, e.g. Ordinary daylight.
- magic n. Magic used for beneficent purposes.
- meat n. Poultry, veal, rabbit, and pork.
- noise n. Noise containing many frequencies with equal intensities.
- paper n. Government report giving information.
- pepper n. Pepper made by grinding a ripe or husked berry.
- russian n. = *byelorussian.
- sauce n. Sauce of flour, melted butter, and milk or cream.
- slave n. Woman tricked or forced into prostitution.
- spirit n. Light petroleum as a solvent.
- sugar n. Purified sugar.
- tie n. Man's white bow-tie as part of full evening dress.
- wedding n. Wedding at which the bride wears a formal white wedding dress.
- whale n. Northern cetacean, white when adult.
- —adj. - resembling a surface reflecting sunlight without absorbing any of the visible rays; of the colour of milk or snow.
- nearly this colour; pale, esp. In the face.
- (white) a of the human group having light-coloured skin. B of or relating to white people.
- albino (white mouse).
- (of hair) having lost its colour, esp. In old age.
- (of coffee) with milk or cream. —n. - white colour or pigment.
- a white clothes or material. B (in pl.) White garments as worn in cricket, tennis, etc.
- a (in a game or sport) white piece, ball, etc. B player using these.
- = *egg-white.
- whitish part of the eyeball round the iris.
- (white) member of a light-skinned race. bleed white drain of wealth etc. whiteness n. Whitish adj. [old english]
number n. Number without fractions; integer.
- —adj. - uninjured, unbroken, intact, or undiminished.
- not less than; all there is of.
- (of blood or milk etc.) With no part removed. —n. - thing complete in itself.
- all there is of a thing.
- (foll. By of) all members etc. Of (the whole of london knows it). as a whole as a unity; not as separate parts. On the whole taking everything relevant into account. Whole lot see *lot. wholeness n. [old english]
—n. - loud cry of or as of excitement etc.
- long rasping indrawn breath in whooping cough. —v. Utter a whoop. whoop it up colloq. - engage in revelry.
- us make a stir. [imitative]
n. - prostitute.
- derog. Promiscuous woman. [old english]
n. - ring of leaves etc. Round a stem.
- one turn of a spiral. [apparently var. Of *whirl]
—interrog. Pron. Of or belonging to which person (whose is this book?). —interrog. Adj. Of whom or which (whose book is this?) —rel. Pron. Of whom; of which (the man, whose name was tim; the house whose roof was damaged).
v. Make or become wider.
—n. - woman who has lost her husband by death and not married again.
- woman whose husband is often away on a specified activity (golf widow). —v. - make into a widow or widower.
- (as widowed adj.) Bereft by the death of a spouse. widowhood n. [old english]