A man met his tailor in the street and stopped him.
"I quite forgot to pay for the suit which I have on now," he said. "Why didn"t you remind me?"
"I never ask a gentleman for money," the tailor replied.
"Then what do you do if he doesn"t pay?"
"Well, after some time I no longer think he is a gentleman and then I ask him."
crime n. Crime violating the international laws of war. war criminal n.
- cry n. - phrase or name shouted to rally one's troops.
- party slogan etc.
- dance n. Dance performed by primitive peoples etc. Before a battle or to celebrate victory.
- memorial n. Monument to those killed in a war.
- of nerves n. Attempt to wear down an opponent psychologically.
- —n. - a armed hostilities between esp. Nations; conflict. B specific instance or period of this. C suspension of international law etc. During this.
- hostility or contention between people, groups, etc.
- (often foll. By on) sustained campaign against crime, poverty, etc. —v. (-rr-) 1 (as warring adj.) Rival; fighting.
- make war. at war (often foll. By with) engaged in a war. Go to war declare or begin a war.
1st & 3rd sing. Past of *be.
—n. - sticky plastic yellowish substance secreted by bees as the material of honeycomb.
- this bleached and purified, used for candles, modelling, etc.
- any similar substance, e.g. The yellow substance secreted by the ear. —v. - cover or treat with wax.
- remove unwanted hair from (legs etc.) Using wax. waxy adj. (-ier, -iest). [old english]
- v. - (of the moon) increase in apparent size.
- become larger or stronger.
- pass into a specified state or mood (wax lyrical). wax and wane undergo alternate increases and decreases. [old english]
back adv. Colloq. Long ago.
- of life n. Principles or habits governing all one's actions etc.
- —n. - road, track, path, etc., for passing along.
- course or route for reaching a place (asked the way to london; the way out).
- method or plan for attaining an object.
- style, manner (i like the way you dress).
- person's chosen or habitual course of action.
- normal course of events (that is always the way).
- travelling distance; length traversed or to be traversed.
- unimpeded opportunity or space to advance (make way).
- advance in some direction; impetus, progress (under way). 10 being engaged in movement from place to place; time spent in this (on the way home). 11 specified direction (step this way). 12 colloq. Scope or range. 13 line of occupation or business. 14 specified condition or state (things are in a bad way). 15 respect (is useful in some ways). 16 (in pl.) Part into which a thing is divided (split it three ways). 17 (in pl.) Structure of timber etc. Down which a new ship is launched. —adv. Colloq. Far (way off). by the way incidentally. By way of 1 by means of.
- as a form of.
- passing through. Come one's way become available to one. Get out of the (or my etc.) Way stop obstructing a person. Go out of one's way make a special effort. In a way to some extent. In the (or one's) way forming an obstruction. Lead the way act as guide or leader. Look the other way ignore what one should notice. On the (or one's) way 1 in the course of a journey etc.
- having progressed.
- colloq. (of a child) conceived but not yet born. On the way out colloq. Going out of fashion or favour. Out of the way 1 no longer an obstacle.
- disposed of.
- (of a place) remote. [old english]
abbr. Workers' educational association.
n. - a woven fabric. B amount woven in one piece.
- complex series (web of lies).
- cobweb, gossamer, or a similar product of a spinning creature.
- membrane between the toes of a swimming animal or bird.
- large roll of paper used in printing.
- thin flat connecting part in machinery etc. webbed adj. [old english]
Abbr. (also weds.) Wednesday.
- contr. - we had.
- we should; we would.
- v. (-dd-; past and past part. Wedded or wed) 1 usu. Formal or literary marry.
- (as wedded adj.) Of or in marriage (wedded bliss).
- (as wedded adj.) (foll. By to) obstinately attached or devoted to (a pursuit etc.). [old english, = pledge]