A man speaks frantically into the phone, "My wife is pregnant, and her contractions are only two minutes apart!"
"Is this her first child?" the doctor queries.
"No, you idiot!" the man shouts. "This is her husband!"
—n. - difficulty or distress; vexation, affliction (had trouble with my car).
- a inconvenience; unpleasant exertion; bother. B cause of this (she was no trouble).
- perceived failing (the trouble with me is that i can't say no).
- dysfunction (kidney trouble; engine trouble).
- a disturbance (crowd trouble; don't want any trouble). B (in pl.) Political or social unrest, public disturbances, esp. (the troubles) in n. Ireland. —v. (-ling) 1 cause distress or anxiety to; disturb.
- be disturbed or worried (don't trouble about it).
- afflict; cause pain etc. To.
- (often refl.) Subject or be subjected to inconvenience or unpleasant exertion (sorry to trouble you; don't trouble yourself). ask (or look) for trouble colloq. Invite trouble by one's actions, behaviour, etc.; be rash or indiscreet. In trouble 1 involved in a matter likely to bring censure or punishment.
- colloq. Pregnant while unmarried. [latin: related to *turbid]
v. (-cing) 1 defeat heavily.
- beat, thrash.
- punish severely. [origin unknown]
n. - member of a theatrical troupe.
- staunch colleague.
suit n. Woman's suit of trousers and jacket.
n. Esp. Us long-distance lorry-driver.
—n. (in full truckle-bed) low bed on wheels, stored under a larger bed. —v. (-ling) (foll. By to) submit obsequiously. [latin trochlea pulley]
n. - edible rich-flavoured underground fungus.
- sweet made of a chocolate mixture covered with cocoa etc. [probably dutch from french]
—n. - brass instrument with a flared bell and bright penetrating tone.
- trumpet-shaped thing (ear-trumpet).
- sound of or like a trumpet. —v. (-t-) 1 a blow a trumpet. B (of an enraged elephant etc.) Make a trumpet-like cry.
- proclaim loudly. trumpeter n. [french diminutive: related to *trump2]
v. (-ling) roll or move, esp. Heavily or noisily. [var. Of obsolete or dial. Trendle: related to *trend]