n. - leguminous plant with leaves of three leaflets, esp. Clover.
- three-lobed ornamentation, esp. In tracery windows. [anglo-french: related to *tri-, *foil2]
n. (in full trellis-work) lattice of light wooden or metal bars, esp. As a support for climbing plants. [french trelis]
—v. (-ling) 1 shake involuntarily from emotion, weakness, etc.
- be in a state of extreme apprehension.
- quiver (leaves trembled in the breeze). —n. Trembling; quiver (tremble in his voice). [medieval latin: related to *tremulous]
adj. (-ier, -iest) colloq. Trembling.
n. Tremulous effect in music. [italian: related to *tremulous]
n. - supporting structure for a table etc., consisting of two frames fixed at an angle or hinged, or of a bar with two divergent pairs of legs.
- (in full trestle-table) table of a board or boards on trestles etc.
- (in full trestle-work) open braced framework to support a bridge etc. [latin transtrum cross-beam]
n. - popular leader or demagogue.
- (in full tribune of the people) official in ancient rome chosen by the people to protect their interests. [latin tribunus: related to *tribe]
n. - thing said or done or given as a mark of respect or affection etc.
- (foll. By to) indication of (some praiseworthy quality) (their success is a tribute to their perseverance).
- hist. A periodic payment by one state or ruler to another, esp. As a sign of dependence. B obligation to pay this. [latin tributum neuter past part. Of tribuo -ut- assign, originally divide between *tribes]
n. Muscle (esp. In the upper arm) with three points of attachment at one end. [latin caput head]