n. Fine lustrous silk or silklike fabric. [french or medieval latin from persian]
n. Hindmost, lowest, or last part.
n. - act of becoming airborne.
- act of mimicking.
book n. Recorded reading of a book, esp. For the blind.
- —adj. - that talks, or is able to talk (talking parrot).
- expressive (talking eyes). —n. In senses of *talk v. talking of while we are discussing.
n. Tall chest of drawers.
—int. Huntsman's cry on sighting a fox. —n. (pl. -s) cry of this. —v. (-hoes, -hoed) 1 utter a cry of ‘tally-ho’.
- indicate (a fox) or urge (hounds) with this cry. [cf. French taïaut]
n. - drum.
- circular frame holding fabric taut for embroidering. [french: related to *tabor]
n. Clay oven. [hindustani]
n. - (often attrib.) Straight line, curve, or surface that meets a curve at a point, but does not intersect it.
- ratio of two sides (other than the hypotenuse) opposite and adjacent to an acute angle in a right-angled triangle. at a tangent diverging from a previous course or from what is relevant or central (go off at a tangent). [latin tango tact- touch]
n. - tall beer mug with a handle.
- contents of or amount held by this (drank a tankard of ale). [probably dutch tankaert]