A man speaks frantically into the phone, "My wife is pregnant, and her contractions are only two minutes apart!"
"Is this her first child?" the doctor queries.
"No, you idiot!" the man shouts. "This is her husband!"
n. Fine lustrous silk or silklike fabric. [french or medieval latin from persian]
n. Hindmost, lowest, or last part.
n. - act of becoming airborne.
- act of mimicking.
book n. Recorded reading of a book, esp. For the blind.
- —adj. - that talks, or is able to talk (talking parrot).
- expressive (talking eyes). —n. In senses of *talk v. talking of while we are discussing.
n. Tall chest of drawers.
—int. Huntsman's cry on sighting a fox. —n. (pl. -s) cry of this. —v. (-hoes, -hoed) 1 utter a cry of ‘tally-ho’.
- indicate (a fox) or urge (hounds) with this cry. [cf. French taïaut]
n. - drum.
- circular frame holding fabric taut for embroidering. [french: related to *tabor]
n. Clay oven. [hindustani]
n. - (often attrib.) Straight line, curve, or surface that meets a curve at a point, but does not intersect it.
- ratio of two sides (other than the hypotenuse) opposite and adjacent to an acute angle in a right-angled triangle. at a tangent diverging from a previous course or from what is relevant or central (go off at a tangent). [latin tango tact- touch]
n. - tall beer mug with a handle.
- contents of or amount held by this (drank a tankard of ale). [probably dutch tankaert]