avoidance n. Minimizing payment of tax by financial manoeuvring.
- disc n. Road tax receipt displayed on the windscreen of a vehicle.
- evasion n. Illegal non-payment or underpayment of tax.
- haven n. Country etc. Where taxes are low.
- return n. Declaration of income for taxation purposes.
- —n. - money compulsorily levied by the state or local authorities on individuals, property, or businesses.
- (usu. Foll. By on, upon) strain, heavy demand, or burdensome obligation. —v. - impose a tax on.
- deduct tax from (income etc.).
Abbr. To be announced.
abbr. Propr. A disinfectant and germicide. [trichlorophenylmethyliodasalicyl]
bag n. Small perforated bag of tea for infusion.
- break n. Pause in work etc. To drink tea.
- caddy n. Container for tea.
- chest n. Light metal-lined plywood box for transporting tea.
- cloth n. = *tea towel.
- cosy n. Cover to keep a teapot warm.
- dance n. Afternoon tea with dancing.
- lady n. Woman employed to make tea in offices etc.
- n. - a (in full tea plant) asian evergreen shrub or small tree. B its dried leaves.
- drink made by infusing tea-leaves in boiling water.
- infusion of other leaves etc. (camomile tea; beef tea).
- a light afternoon meal of tea, bread, cakes, etc. B = *high tea. [probably dutch tee from chinese]
- rose n. Hybrid shrub with a tealike scent.
- towel n. Towel for drying washed crockery etc.
- trolley n. (us tea wagon) small trolley from which tea is served.
abbr. Training and enterprise council.
- n. Colloq. Detective. [abbreviation]
n. (also ted) colloq. Teddy boy. [abbreviation]
n. = *t1. [phonetic spelling]
- —n. - a cleared space from which the golf ball is struck at the start of play for each hole. B small wooden or plastic support for a golf ball used then.
- mark aimed at in bowls, quoits, curling, etc. —v. (tees, teed) (often foll. By up) place (a ball) on a golf tee. tee off 1 play a ball from a tee.
- colloq. Start, begin. [origin unknown]
Abbr. (also tel.) Telephone.
adj. & n. - one more than nine.
- symbol for this (10, x, x).
- size etc. Denoted by ten.
- ten o'clock. ten to one very probably. [old english]
- commandments n.pl. (prec. By the) rules of conduct given by god to moses (exod. 20:1–17).
—adj. (called the definite article) 1 denoting person(s) or thing(s) already mentioned, under discussion, implied, or familiar (gave the man a wave).
- describing as unique (the thames).
- a (foll. By defining adj.) Which is, who are, etc. (edward the seventh). B (foll. By adj. Used absol.) Denoting a class described (from the sublime to the ridiculous).
- best known or best entitled to the name (with the stressed: do you mean the kipling?).
- indicating a following defining clause or phrase (the book that you borrowed).
- a indicating that a singular noun represents a species etc. (the cat is a mammal). B used with a noun which figuratively represents an occupation etc. (went on the stage). C (foll. By the name of a unit) a, per (5p in the pound). —adv. (preceding comparatives in expressions of proportional variation) in or by that (or such a) degree; on that account (the more the merrier; the more he has the more he wants). [old english]