A speeding motorist was caught by radar from a police helicopter in the sky.
An officer pulled him over and began to issue a traffic ticket.
"How did you know I was speeding?" the frustrated driver asked.
The police officer pointed somberly toward the sky.
"You mean," asked the motorist, "that even He is against me?"
avoidance n. Minimizing payment of tax by financial manoeuvring.
- disc n. Road tax receipt displayed on the windscreen of a vehicle.
- evasion n. Illegal non-payment or underpayment of tax.
- haven n. Country etc. Where taxes are low.
- return n. Declaration of income for taxation purposes.
- —n. - money compulsorily levied by the state or local authorities on individuals, property, or businesses.
- (usu. Foll. By on, upon) strain, heavy demand, or burdensome obligation. —v. - impose a tax on.
- deduct tax from (income etc.).
Abbr. To be announced.
abbr. Propr. A disinfectant and germicide. [trichlorophenylmethyliodasalicyl]
bag n. Small perforated bag of tea for infusion.
- break n. Pause in work etc. To drink tea.
- caddy n. Container for tea.
- chest n. Light metal-lined plywood box for transporting tea.
- cloth n. = *tea towel.
- cosy n. Cover to keep a teapot warm.
- dance n. Afternoon tea with dancing.
- lady n. Woman employed to make tea in offices etc.
- n. - a (in full tea plant) asian evergreen shrub or small tree. B its dried leaves.
- drink made by infusing tea-leaves in boiling water.
- infusion of other leaves etc. (camomile tea; beef tea).
- a light afternoon meal of tea, bread, cakes, etc. B = *high tea. [probably dutch tee from chinese]
- rose n. Hybrid shrub with a tealike scent.
- towel n. Towel for drying washed crockery etc.
- trolley n. (us tea wagon) small trolley from which tea is served.
abbr. Training and enterprise council.
- n. Colloq. Detective. [abbreviation]
n. (also ted) colloq. Teddy boy. [abbreviation]
n. = *t1. [phonetic spelling]
- —n. - a cleared space from which the golf ball is struck at the start of play for each hole. B small wooden or plastic support for a golf ball used then.
- mark aimed at in bowls, quoits, curling, etc. —v. (tees, teed) (often foll. By up) place (a ball) on a golf tee. tee off 1 play a ball from a tee.
- colloq. Start, begin. [origin unknown]
Abbr. (also tel.) Telephone.
adj. & n. - one more than nine.
- symbol for this (10, x, x).
- size etc. Denoted by ten.
- ten o'clock. ten to one very probably. [old english]
- commandments n.pl. (prec. By the) rules of conduct given by god to moses (exod. 20:1–17).
—adj. (called the definite article) 1 denoting person(s) or thing(s) already mentioned, under discussion, implied, or familiar (gave the man a wave).
- describing as unique (the thames).
- a (foll. By defining adj.) Which is, who are, etc. (edward the seventh). B (foll. By adj. Used absol.) Denoting a class described (from the sublime to the ridiculous).
- best known or best entitled to the name (with the stressed: do you mean the kipling?).
- indicating a following defining clause or phrase (the book that you borrowed).
- a indicating that a singular noun represents a species etc. (the cat is a mammal). B used with a noun which figuratively represents an occupation etc. (went on the stage). C (foll. By the name of a unit) a, per (5p in the pound). —adv. (preceding comparatives in expressions of proportional variation) in or by that (or such a) degree; on that account (the more the merrier; the more he has the more he wants). [old english]